1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radio signals and buzzing from my Genz!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lincoln, May 4, 2015.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    I'm sure this is a basic question to you guys, but in all my years of playing I've never had to consistently deal with radio signals and crackle coming through my amp when I play out. I have a shuttle 6 and I'm wondering if there is some maintenance that I can do or have done to correct this. I'm constantly having to EQ my way around this lately when normally I just set everything flat on the EQ and make tweeks on my onboard preamp. Now I'm rolling off much of the treble and mid frequencies on the amp to hide NPR coming through...Any suggestions?

2. Sounds more like a bass or lead problem to me, are you using the same lead &/or bad when this happens?

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    I bought a new Monster cable, but I'm still getting the issue. The only thing I haven't done is switch out the bass, but then I only have one bass these days...though I haven't heard radio signals picked up at church, but there is sometimes more hiss than I would expect from a Sadowsky pre with humcanceling pickups...

4. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you unplug the bass and cable from the amp, does the noise go away? If it does, it's almost certainly the bass and/or cable.

There is significant RF rejection circuitry in the amp which is effective in any normally encountered situation.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  5. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Is the issue present with no bass plugging into the input?

6. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    yup

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Consider yourself fortunate. Your Genz Benz amp is a class act, and has cultivated, refined tastes in radio programing.

If your Shuttle 6.0 was channeling Rush Limbaugh, then drastic measures would become necessary...such as retaining the services of a competent, qualified bass gear exorcist.

MM

8. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Try a new power cable. It's possible the ground pin or wire has become damaged. Where are you located?

If that doesn't solve the problem, PM me an I will walk you through some additional troubleshooting steps.

10. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Hi! I do have a newer cable and the problem was the same as the old one, unfortunately... I'm located in NE Ohio and it would be great to get some additional insight...it has occurred at every venue I've played at for the last several months including my own home...

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    To confirm, the problem is present with no bass AND no cable?

If the problem only occurs at one location, and without a bass AND cable plugged into the input (and assuming nothing in the effects loop), it would indicate a power source problem like a missing earth ground or ground bond between the neutral and ground at the service entrance panel. Could also be multiple bonds as well, which create circulating ground currents that can be modulated/demodulated by high levels of RF.

12. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    The problem occurs with no bass and no cable in multiple locations, and I go dry with no effects. Bass, cable, amp.

13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It really sounds like your amp needs to be looked at.

A few of questions:

Look at the pins on the power connector of the amp. Is the ground pin in the middle solid in place or is it loose when you wiggle it?

Did the start of the problem coincide with a thunder storm? Any chance you zapped the input with a strong electrostatic discharge?

Are all the jack nuts tight? Just use your fingers to check. If the input jack is loose for example, and it took at hit, you might have broken solder joints.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    I'd get the amp checked before you get shocked ..! wouldn't what to get stuck in Ashtabula ..!!

I'd call Dan at Lay's Guitar repair to see who does good work around your area ..! Lay's is what I miss most about leaving the Akron/Cleve area ..! 40+ yrs in that neck of the woods ...

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Change power cables and see if that takes care of the problem. If not, your next step is a qualified tech.

16. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    "Invisible airwaves crackle with life ...", Geddy Lee may be able to help you with this problem.

17. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    I am not an amplifier repair guy; however, typically picking up radio signal results from having a faulty ground and being in the proximity of a radio station tower. Take a jumper from the chassis to a copper water pipe and see if that helps.

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If it happens with the bass disconnected, then it probably rules out a common reason for radio pickup, which is a dodgy ground at the input jack.

19. I usually make a hat out of Tinfoil and........Running to hide