Radiohead-Kid 17

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by astronauts_suck, Feb 7, 2006.

1. I heard of this thing earlier today where you play 2 copies of Kid A at the same time, 17 seconds apart, and things line up to create new harmonies and rhythms. I tried it and found it very interesting to say the least. It's not better than the album by itself, but definitely worth listening to at least once.

Just thought I'd share that.:)
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I guarantee there are thousands other albums that you could do this to, in fact, to an extent you can do this to almost every album ever made depending on your ear. It's not that there was any foresight to have the album compliment itself like that, it's that, your brain focuses on where it works and ignores where it does and, to an extent, it even makes it work when it really doesn't to begin with.

That said, it is still a neat effect to observe.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Flaming Lips actually created an album that had four discs that were meant to be played together.
  4. Would you know the name of it by any chance?
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I like making my own mash-ups. I'll download an mp3 to my browser and start one song my browser and another on my music player. It made me realize how easy it is for two completely different kinds of songs to line up in weird ways and it can sound almost as if it were intentional. It's the same principle behind delay pedals and the like.

Try it sometime, it's fun.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Zaireureka. It's pretty cool, but hard to setup (you would need 4 seperate cd players and at least two people to set it up for all 4 discs).
  7. MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    I tried out the Kid 17 thing, and it is pretty interesting. But I really doubt it was intentional.

There are parts that line up perfectly, like the part where both tracks will come to parts that say "We've got heads on sticks", and it's really interesting. There are also other parts where different lyric lines with different melodies line up in certain parts making harmonies.

I think it's unintentional though. Mainly because I feel this is the result of Kid A being a song that is for at least the first half comprised of one section with different variations. This makes it so that most parts of the song would go well against other parts of the song. The "heads on sticks" parts lining up is easily explained from a songwriting perspective. All he did was use the same lyric twice. And someone noticed 17 seconds just happened to be the spacing between the verses. Probably because 17 seconds come out to be something like 16 measures or something.

Not to mention that this song and album were pretty adventurous for Radiohead at the time. I doubt they took time to think something like this out considering how much thought went into the rest of the album on stuff that would actually be noticed.

Also, The Flaming Lips - Zaireeka is really cool even without the 4 disc thing. There's a stereo mixdown floating around on the internet if you look for it.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Anyone remember the whole Wizard of Oz/ Pink Floyd's "Darkside of the Moon" thing that came up around '96?
  9. you can also listen to each of zaireeka's cds on their own and supposedly they sound good that way too. not to digress to much but man do i love that band.

around the time of zaireeka's release they had what was called the boombox orchestra: Wayne (singer) and Mike (bassist) organized shows in which they showed up with a box of 50-100 cassettes, each of which contained a single track as part of a multi-track whole. A cassette was handed to each person in the audience that had brought a boombox with them for the event and they all hit start on cue, thus making everyone a participant and musician in the wall of sound that ensued. since all the boomboxes had their own level of drift the individual tapes would eventually all be a little out of sync with one another, making it even cooler and more organic! Cool stuff. how amazing is it that they got the record company to even release this?! CHECK THIS BAND OUT!!
  10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Neurosis also recorded 2 seperate albums that are meant to be played together simultaniously. Neurosis "Times of Grace" and Tribes of Neurot "Grace" are the two...its pretty cool, if your into that kinda stuff.
  11. IIRC you can also get a similar effect with "Kid A" and "Amnesic"
  12. And the 2112 and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory thing too....