Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radiohead - Kid A

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    What a great album. I bought it last week on a whim. These guys are REAL different. I dig "The National Anthem" a lot. I love being turned on to new music.:D Yall should give it a listen.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Hehe, I've owned it for 3 years, it rocks. Listen to all their albums:
    Pablo Honey
    The Bends
    OK Computer
    Kid A
    Amnesiac
    (any other stuff (singles) you can get your hands on)

They rock, but every album is very different:

Pablo Honey
    Guitar rock, thom's whiny vocals.

The Bends
    Synthesized guitar, more refined, some keys.

OK Computer
    Really synthesized guitar, lots of keys, most engineering.

Kid A
    Little guitar, good keys, amazing lyrics.

Amnesiac
    Similar to Kid A, slight differences (recorded in same sessions)

Enjoy the greatest band of the 90's :D;)

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    mmm... indeed, radiohead rules.

4. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yea, I owned pablo honey right after it was released. Like you said, more guitar driven. I'm all about what they're into now. I think they have gone leaps and bounds since then. I'm juiced to hear more of the recently recorded stuff.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Amnesiac is even better than Kid A (IMHO of course) check it out!

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Hey thats my opinion too! :D

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Absolutely. But then again, I don't like Kid A at all. :(

8. I have all of their CD's, they all rock. 'Amnesiac' and 'OK Computer' are the best.
    Jim

9. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    the bends is the album,

i didnt like kid A at all

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm in the minority with 6-stringer on this one, I like Kid A. I love that intro track, Everything in its Place. Trance-like, trippy headphone material.

Kind of reminds me of Floyd back when they did stuff like Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

Don't get me wrong, Radiohead doesn't even compare to Floyd in my book, but some of their work is reminiscent of Floyd's more abstract stuff. Just my personal opinion of course. :)

11. I'll also agree that Kid A is an amazing album. Same with Amnesiac too. How To Disappear Completely, Everything in it's Right Place, and Pyramid Song are my favorite tracks. With these albums being recorded during the same sessions certainly has something to do with their similar vibe. I find these albums are great when cruising out of the city, or else just laying back on your bed at night relaxing. Use of any substances, either legal or illegal, can only heighten the listening experience, but not when you're driving of course ;)

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    nice, a radiohead thread and i almost miss it!

well, i like more Kid A than amnesiac... don't know why... (maybe because Morning Bell (the original) is one of may fave songs of this kid A/Amnesiac era)

also i had pablo honey for a long time, I remember i hated it when OK computer was released and stop listening to it... i lend it to a friend for almost a year... but it returned to me and i gave it a listen... man i fell in love again with that album...

still, this is my "Best to great" album list:

1.-Ok Computer
    2.-Kid A
    3.-The Bends
    4.-Amnesiac
    5.- Pablo Honey

they promised a more "guitar driven" album on the next sessions, but you can't never predict what they do and thats wy i love em.

13. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Kid A is by far one of my all time favorites. OK Computer, however, is my absolute favorite Radiohead album. Definately a "desert island" record.

Kid A is awesome, I love how cohesively the album is put together. I thought, IMO, that the songs on OK Computer and The Bends were a little better when evaluated individually. Kid A works best when viewed as a whole.

And as there are so few albums with a well executed, front to back vision about them, that made Kid A so much more special.

I do miss the guitars, though... :confused:

14. I didn't like Kid A at first, due to the shock disappearance of the guitars, but it grew on me. Amnesiac is better IMO, though.

Anyone have any idea when they're going to record the next album?

15. 1 - OK Computer
    2 - Kid A
    3 - Amnesiac
    4 - The Bends
    5 - Pablo Honey (don't own it, heard it was terrible)

I think Kid A is a much more cohesive record than Amnesiac is.

16. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have a four way tie for number one:

Amnesiac, Kid A, OK Computer, The Bends

Then Pablo Honey is number 2. :D

17. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    They're recording right now.

Next album is promised to be more guitar, but Ed's been saying that about the last 2... Jonny learned Trumpet and accordian for this too, should prove interesting.

18. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Maybe it's my generation gap, but RHead is comparable to Floyd I think. I do love floyd, but RHead is just as creative musically, and their political views are better. Both great bands, don't put one before the other, right ;)

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Sall good, I can live with that. Creative wise, I agree, they are comparable.

For me personally, what sets PF apart is that perfect balance of great rock and blues with cutting edge experimentalism. I feel they set themselves apart in ways I can't even fully explain, yet they have a lot of timeless rock material too.

With RH, I like the experimental part I loved in Floyd I think, but overall, a lot of their songs don't grab me like PF did. I can totally see your viewpoint though, Radiohead definitely has that unique freelance quality that allows them to grow.

20. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Picked up Amnesiac today. Great album, more experimental in a good way. Kid A is more cohesive song wise IMO. A buddy of mine burned me a copy of "Asleep in the back" by a band called Elbow. Anybody familiar with it? They have a simmilar vibe to Radiohead. Real good stuff. If you have'nt heard it, check it out. I'm a huge Floyd head as well. I think that's why RH sits so well with me. While they are worlds apart, the spirit is much the same.