Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radiohead

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Area51nense, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Area51nense

Area51nense

Apr 27, 2000
    Hi,
    did anybody listen to "The National Anthem" by Radiohead? It's a wonderful song which will be included in their next album, "Kid A" In that song Colin Greenwood uses a particoular effect, do you know which? He uses also something similar in Exit Music (for a film), a song with an extraordinary bass line. Surely Colin is one of the gratest bassists of these years, what do u think?
    bye
    Area51nense

2. Hey. I can't understand it, but a WHOLE lot of people don't know about Radiohead. THEY'RE A GREAT BAND!!! Very unique! I have all their albums. When is the new one coming out??? I'll definately buy it. They're bass player is great. Very, Very original. Doesn't play the most complex things, he just puts things that sound "right" in the music. If you changed the bassline to a Radiohead song, it wouldn't be the same song. I love it when bassists do that!

-Woofy Out!

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Haven't heard the song yet, so I can't comment on the bass tone. I know of the Exit Music line and tone, but haven't tried to replicate it...it sounds like it may be a bass through some sort of fuzz pedal, but then also doubled w/ no effect to keep the low end from disappearing. I'm almost sure it's at least two tracks of bass, with possibly a third track of a synth or something also doubling (tripling) the line and mixed real low. (I love the mellotron on that track, along with the "atmosphere" of the third verse.)

The new disc is due out on Oct 2, I believe...I love Radiohead...one of the most creative and musical bands around...

October should be a cool month, both Radiohead and U2 with new discs out.

-GM

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yes i love radiohead, i have everything from them
    and hey!! i have a webpage:
    http://www.radiohead.digitalbomb.com

but it´s in spanish, cuz´i´m from Mexico

Hope that you choke

5. I want to check out that song.Radiohead is amazing.They write great songs and their arrangements are cool.I agree with the fact that their bassist plays what is best for the song.Icant wait for the new album!!!

6. I saw Radiohead live here in Australia a couple of years ago, supporting OK Computer. Wow, what a sound.....these guys are a real band, and one with synergy. Can't wait for the new album!

Cheers

John

7. You got to see them live!?I'm jealous!!I've been trying to see them,but for one reason or another,it's never panned out.Of course,I would be standing on the bass player's side of the stage.Man,I've always wanted to go to Australia,that country has a rich musical heritage.

8. even their outtakes are great... i don't think they are capable of making an album that is not beautiful. colin puts in a lot of feeling, even if he does simple stuff. remember in "black star" when the guitar drops out and thom sings the last verse over just the bass? i love that.

9. I know what song your talkin about but I'll have to listen to the album again.Oh,that would be agony!Hee!Hee!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw RadioHead for free at Sussex University, before they were very well known at the small student bar there. I don't think there's anyone in the UK who hasn't heard of them, they had best-selling album for ages and won loads of prizes.

11. You got to see them in Sussex!?I've always wanted to go to England,plus see Radiohead in general!!Wow!Good for you!!!some people have all the luck!!

12. Area51nense

Area51nense

Apr 27, 2000
    Hi,
    for everyone who cant wait for Kid A (wait for just 9 days...), on Internet there are some blips, video clip (about 10 sec) containing animation and audio samples. There's also a clip of "Optimistic" where you can see Colin playing it... You can find them on http://www.ptelex.com or, if you want mp3's, go to http://www.audiofind.com
    bye
    Area51nense
    (in an intastella burst im back to save the universe!!)

13. Cool,Thanks! I love technology!!!

14. Prashant

Prashant

Feb 29, 2000
    CT
    For those who haven't had the opportunity, you can hear the entire album as a RealPlayer audio stream on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/music/download/radiohead/ra-main.html/002-2068563-5279208

Sorry - I know the URL is kind of long. Anyway, just click on the hypertext link in the body-text/write-up that says
    "listen to a stream of Kid A in its entirety", and enjoy.

For those of us in North America, tour dates are being announced at present. Radiohead will be playing on "Saturday Night Live" on October 14th. Last I checked, there are two North American dates in the days immediately following SNL: one in Toronto and one in LA. Here's a URL for currently scheduled shows:

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=Artist&Content=radiohead

I've listened to the new album a bunch of times now, and I love it. Mixed reviews from fellow musicians/fans, but I suppose that it's to be expected when a band makes a sonic leap like Radiohead have with "Kid A". Of particular note: very little guitar on the album, 'though I heard a concert from Belgium on the internet where they premiered a substantial amount of the material. It seemed like what they couldn't feasibly play live was re-arranged and/or transcribed for guitar.

I love these guys. BIG personal favourites.

Enjoy,

Prashant

P.S. The BBC website has RealPlayer stream of a recent in-studio interview regarding the new album, but I forgot to bookmark the URL. Interesting stuff, though.