Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

radioshack 1/4"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by g00eY, Feb 26, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i couldn't figure out where to put this, so i just decided to stick it here.

ok, here's the deal. i have a bunch of Planet Waves Cable Station solderless 1/4" cable. i need some connectors. so far i have two Radioshack gold plated mono plugs. will these be good enough to make decent 1/4" cables?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sure...for a while. Just be very nice to them!

You're talking about instrument cables right?

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea. i need some new cables for my amp and bass.

maybe i should buy some switchcraft ones... i found them for $2 each with free shipping. good deal?

any input on the Radioshack stuff is appreciated.

edit: thanks for moving it to the right forum :) .

4. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    We use Radio Shack plugs in an emergency. I don't like the way the nickel one solder. I haven't tried the gold one, but I bet they solder better.

For what it's worth, Planet Waves has gone after audio stores. You might find a dealer that will order them for you.

We can order anything Monster right now.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    aside from soldering issues, how do you think they are quality and soundwise?

6. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    In an audio applications, I rate them as average. They don't have anything to increase the connection area and I bet they are the same metal of the jack that they are going into. I think the wire will have a bigger impact.

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks. i'm deciding if i should return these and get some Switchcraft 280s, cuz these were $4 each.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    IMO, you can't lose with Switchcraft. Not sure about sonic issues, but I still use the same cables that I built with Belden wire and Switchcraft plugs back in 1975!!!

I have replaced the angled plug once (with an other Switchcraft) but the straight plug is original.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I use Rad Shack 1/4 plugs all the time. I don't notice any problems with them. Maybe my ears are bad but they can't tell the difference between Radio Shack and the high quality stuff.
    I also don't abuse my stuff so things tend to last longer with me. Switchcraft is good quality and if you can get them for $2 a pop then I would do that.

10. Go with Switchcraft, or, if you can, Neutrik. Or, as an alternative, George L.

Rock on
    Eric