1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radius question for fretless conversion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by scuzzy, Jul 15, 2012.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I've been wanting a Godin A4 for some time, but can't afford it. I found a Greg Bennett Remington Bass guitar at a guitar center for very little $$$, and it appears to be a poor man's Godin. It is no longer produced and the Greg Bennett site has no specs. I emailed them last week, but I'm doubtful I'll get a reply. I've searched the web and on TB but can't get the radius of the fretboard. I am intending to buy my equipment from LMI, and they have the combo 10"/12" radius block. Should that block cover most 4-string bass guitars? Samick has other basses that are a 12" radius, so maybe all of them are?

Also, is it much more beneficial to get a 12" long block over the 8" long block?

Here is an old link to the bass for reference. http://www.smcmusic.com/oldsite_gregbennett/sab13.html

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I doubt anyone here can give you a definitive answer unless they are familiar with the brand or factory where they are made. The radius could be anywhere from 7.5" to 20, or even flat, sure some of those options are going to be less likely, but it could easily be 16". Your best bet would be to buy it, then get a radius gauge (you can print them off online). Then buy your radius block.

A 12" block will be a bit easier to keep everything level, without sanding dips into the board. But with a little more care a 8" would work.

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    would it be detrimental to radius it out to a 12"? It seems pretty close, if not right on.

4. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Depends what radius it has now, it's going to make the top fret position markers no longer be central on the board if you do a tighter radius.

5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    All done. I think it turned out great. I actually cut a new nut for it out of black bone. that was a tough job, and it still needs a little work. great mwah and the LR Baggs preamp gives some killer tones. All in all, the best $200 I've spent on bass gear.

hulfn4.

11tsd5c.

Chrome likes this.
  6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    If you want too determine the radius, make some paper templates of all radiused from 7.5 and up. As you go, try each one too see if you found it.

If you don't know how to find the radius for a template, for a 7.5, get a piece of wood, drill two holes. One at the beginning of you're measurement, and one at the end of you're measurement (7.5 inches) put a sharp screw through one, and a piece of lead through the other, use it like a compass. I've made all my radius gauges this way.