Radius the back sides of neck with router

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by #include <MK>, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Has anyone used a router to radius the sides only of the back of a neck (from the top to bottom or vise-versa). I saw some 20mm bits that have a shape very similar to the back of a 5 string neck I have (much flatter neck at the centre than a 4 string).
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
  3. Interesting, thanks for the link. What size bit would I need if the router was not upside down (as shown on that page)? The 20mm bit I mentioned looked ok to me.
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Jeez, I have no idea on that one...either really big, monstrous, or ginormous, I'm not sure...for an "airplane wing" shaped neck (asymmetrical), I've seen some mondo-sized bits that are flatter as they go out. I was wondering about the same thing. They're used for moldings and the like, and a couple I've seen looked like they might work. Check out tool sites that specialize in that sort of thing. You might find something that way. The size would be dependant on the width of your neck. Half the width at 24th fret would be ideal. You'd still have to do some shaping by hand, but prolly a good deal less. I find the shaping part to be the most fun, personally. Very zen-like experience.
  5. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Those "mondo-sized" bits that you refer to are known as an ovolo bit...the shape or profile that is.....These bits are primarily used to shape the edges of tables.

I have several large radius bits in 1in and 1 1/4in.....I have used these to give me a general profile for the neck and then fine-tune with a spoke shave.

Yes! Zen-like...One with the universe, one with the wood.
  6. The pics in that link are bogus...Not just photoshopped but much more professionally done. I'm guessing they were set up at a secret location on an Industrial Light & Magic soundstage and shot in front of a blue screen for later post production manipulation. They obviously brought in someone that knew something about guitar shops but the lack of critical details is the giveaway clue that the images aren't real...
    Where the hell is all the sawdust? The tiny scraps of wood and pieces of tape on the floor. What about handtools left out on the workbenches along with cups of half drunk coffee, water bottles, can's of moldy Coke? There aren't any cobwebs in the corners with dust hanging from the threads. I don't see the any garbage cans with used paint and glue mixing supplies. And finally, missing is any indication that basses are being built here, so we can be certain that the creators weren't at all interested in being accurate in depicting where REAL luthiery art originates. :D
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I know for a fact that Wal basses necks are done on a shaper with what i can only describe as a mamoth raoundover bit.
  8. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Look at the side profile- it cuts that little ledge. I'd want one that didn't have that ledge extension...
  10. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I was referring to the 2.5 one. You can get it cheaper from this guy:

I just got some carbide bits from him.

11. wouldn't this bit be kind of awkward to use on a neck? I mean, I can't imagine using this on a hand held router and table mounted, the back tilted headstock would inhibit it from being practical.
  12. Well, you can adjust the router so that it doesn't cut that deep... you have to do that with a roundover too.
  13. Guys, it is NOT recommended by anyone with any experience, to use bits over 2" in diameter in hand held routers. The torque these things generate can be quite destructive. Best to think about using it with the router bolted in a table or some other fixture.

But what do I know... :rolleyes:
  14. I don't recall saying anything about using a handheld router for it.
  15. And where did I say such a thing? Please don't try to start a fight. My observation dovetailed nicely with the conversation which had at least 3 discussion references to using bits over 2", a link to a photo of a jig system that used a handheld router and the discussion currently contained no warnings of this nature. Yes, I understand that you didn't mention using a bit of this size in a handheld router, but neither did you say that it was to be used in a router table. In fact, even you didn't warn against this.

My post was meant to be helpful not accuse someone of not knowing what they were doing. If you would like, I'll take it down.
  16. I'm not trying to start a fight and I'm not sure why you think I am. You quoted me and said that it's not recommended by anyone with any experience to use bits over 2" in diameter with a handheld router. The reason I made the statement about this is that you quoted me in your reply. If you weren't replying directly to my statement then I'm not sure why you would quote me.
  17. Fixed, you should have said so. Better?
  18. All, thanks for your efforts, I appreciate them. Lets keep cool as some good advice was given.

The reason for the thread - as stated above - was due to walking past the router bit section and from the corner of my eye, saw a bit that was a similar shape to my 5 string neck. Not much thought went into it. Just wondered if anyone had use something like that to shape most of the back of a neck (sides), not necessarily all of it.

Discussion of pros and cons is inevitable and always helpful. The great thing about these forums, is that there here for years and people do refer to them as we know. So, comments are not only for the here and now. One good piece of advice in a thread can save a project.
  19. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What about CNC? I'm not really familiar with how they work, but from what I've seen, don't they work in a way similar to routers? Granted, it's all computer controlled and freakishly precise, though.