Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radius to a "Ramp"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NJL, Oct 21, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I use flat ramps on my two main basses. I bought radius block form Stewmac, but the block is not wide enough for the ramp.

What do I do now? :D

To begin with, I was going to use a marker by marking the ramp so when I i'm sanding, I know what's being sanded.

I'm a little stumped right now, but unlike a fretboard, the ramp doesn't need to be perfect.

:)

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No worries man. Just sand it over your ramp using the radius block. A 16" radius is a 16" radius no matter if you sand it to the left or the right.

Just to ease your mind, Jack Read made one for me once and he made the radius by eyeing it for the most part. Not until the final sanding did he use the radius block that I brought him. You can't do it wrong as long as you have the correct radius block. Go for it! :hyper:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  4. The only thing to watch is that you make sure that you are sanding evenly on both sides, that is that you don't go deeper on the treble side of the ramp than the bass side or vise versa. It shouldn't make too much difference on a ramp, but I'm quite conscious of it when radiusing fretboards so I figured I'd mention it. If the block isn't wide enough for the piece this can become more of an issue but as long as you keep checking the piece it shouldn't be any problem.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think the consensus is that you should use the radius block. I'm assuming you do not have a belt sander or a spindle sander because both of those would work better. It's going to suck to do by hand, but you can do it if you are careful to give both sides attention. Start of the ends and work inward.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually I do have a beltsander (3.5", I think - it's on loan to my dad)....

I was thinking of getting the sides started, and then finishing with the block...I'm not good at eyeballing things.

:)