1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Radius?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gintaras, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am a newbie and have been searching the forum for an explanation of radius on the fretboard. I just looked at some specs on the Fender sight and the fretboard had a radius of 12" !!!!! Does the term 'radius' mean something different or should have I not gone to catholic school?

Also what is 'wenge' when referriing to a neck?
    Thanks
    Gus

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The radius is "A line segment that joins the center of a circle with any point on its circumference" in dictionary terms. In instrument design, think of it as starting at point A on the outside (circumference) of a circle, and ending at point B - the radius is the distance between the two. It's basically how much "curve" a fingerboard has. Vintage Fenders and reproductions have (I believe) a 7.5" radius, while newer models have 12". Extended range basses usually have a greater radius, as less curvature typically makes them easier to play. For instance, my Yamaha RBX-775 has a 600 mm (23-point-something inch) radius.

Wenge is a wood, most commonly used for necks and fingerboards.

Wedge was Luke Skywalker's wingman and later commander of Rogue Squadron. :D

comatosedragon likes this.