Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

radius

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucfor, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering: what is radius on a bass?
    How do you measure it?

Thanks?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I understand raduius to be the radiius of curvature of the fretboard. Fretboard have variuous radii of curvature depending on manufacturer. It is a measure of how flat or how round the fretboard is.

I believe that most are measured in inches. I'm not sure how you would physically measure it though!!!

The measurement refers to a circle with a radius of the given nymber of inches. The fretboard is then as round or as flat as an arc on the circumference of the circle with the given radius! For example, a 10inch radius of curvature would mean that the fretboard is as curved as an arc on the circumference of a 10 inch radius circle.

IF I'm wrong someone please correct me!!!

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That is exactly correct Johnny.

The confusion for some lies in that a neck with a larger radius actually appears more flat. But if you understand Johnny's explaination, it makes perfect sense.

Necks with a compound radius tend to be more rounded at one end of the neck and get flat as you go to the other.

As far as how you measure it with just your bass, you just need a good ruler, a few stationary reference points and a very good knowledge of geometry and trig. A good calculator will help.

If you just want to know what your's is, try looking on the makers website. That sort of thing is usually available with the specs.

Chas