Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radius

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, May 12, 2003.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Radius, and headstock pitch...

I was hoping to ask and get a variety of headstock pitches from some of your basses?

And a variety of radius specs?

I am also curious about the compound radius...

What is the largest span recommended between two radii on the same fretboard? And what is the smallest you would go before deciding it wasn't worth the difference?

so here are my actual questions...

#1 What is the pitch of your headstock?

#2 What is your radius?

(And if it's a compound radius, what are the radii?)

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi Greg,

I use a special Flat headstock for the moment but when I built some angled, scarf jointed headstock, they were 15°.

I use a 16" radius on my fingerboards and never felt the use for compound radius.

I you're looking for specs for your Bee 9 string, I think that the flattest, the better but that's just my opinion... Ever thought of a flat board?

;)

Peace, JP

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    On really wide boards, you need a flat radius or you'll end up with no stock on the sides of the fingerboard. Even with a 20" radius, you need to start with a thicker board to make it work on real wide necks. 20" is what I use on wide necks, 16" is what I use on narrower necks. I do about an 11 degree headstock angle.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I prefer very flat, like a meter radius. There is some radius, just for the look of it (true flat is ugly...)

Headstock? No, thank you.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

LMAO

:D

JP, still working on his headless design!

6. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Wow nice looking instruments JP! I went and checked out your site...

Thanks for all of your input thus far everyone! much appreciated!

And yes I am wrapping up the specs for the Bass that BEE is building me!

I just don't want to have to wish I had remembered something this time!

;)

I am currently playing a BEE 8 string (4ths, not doubled octaves.) Fred put a compound radius on it, and treble end is flat... i love it now, but at first it appeared concave to me on the flat, treble end...

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm making my first 7-string, and it's going to be 16" at the nut down to about 20" at the 24th fret. I like some curvature in the boards. The thing you have to think about, is that the bass is a unit, so you need to make sure your bridge and pickups will work with the radius you like. I started with a 3/8" fretboard, so the edges will still be thick.
    LM