"radiused" brigdes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 11, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Has anyone ever had issues with "radiused" bridges? I'm having an issue with my custom Roscoe bridge (made by Hipshot), I'm having to mill out the D saddle slot by about 1/64" to get the action low enough to where it's consistent with the other strings. This Roscoe is my favorite fretless bass of all time, the four strings that are "in" have an incredibly killer sound, and they're so comfortable to play that I couldn't wish for anything more. But that darn D string is annoying, the saddle groove is raised up a little farther than it should be IMO. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? If so, what did you do about it?
  2. Hmm, sumpthin' doesn't add up for me :confused: I assume the neck has a consistent radius(?) and the bridge chassis has a consistent radius(?). I don't know the shape of the saddles or other details so I've got to stop there but if those two things are true and the A and G strings are correct, that only leaves a problem with the saddle mechanisms (again, I don't know what they look like) and not so much with the arched design itself. Wouldn't it? The only way to really tell is to take a known proper sized one and the offender D and take them apart and measure them 9 ways to Sunday. You might come up with something. But the fact that the problem string is bracketed by good ones helps eliminate some possibilities.

Edit: I read it again and it says "slot". Would that be slots that act as guides for the height adjustment mechanisms? I understand better now :cool: Maybe there was a plating build-up in the slots. If it was custom machined, it didn't get out off of the mill wrong - those guys don't do things like that but platers might ;)
  3. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Figured I might as well bring this up again -
    'cause it's been troubling me too!

They radius the bridge chasis a few miles higher
    than any normal person likes his action, only to keep
    a handful of morons from messing up their basses!
    Ridiculous! Us poor setup-saavy individuals are
    forced to resort to half-assed modifications like
    neck shimming - or spending another 20-50 bucks
    on an unradiused bridge (which is, btw, what i would
    advise nosqtr [and myself] to do).

Anyhoot -
    just to give the rest of you an idea of what the Hipshot
    'Style A' bridge looks like:
    That's 2 screws to adjust string height - just like the
    fender bridges. The third screw holds the 'string barrel'
    (for lack of a better term) in place:
    The strings rest on a metal cylinder, with a slot cut in
    the middle. This cylinder slides from side to side for string
    spacing adjustment.

It's really an OK bridge. Roscoe's neck joint is just a wee bit
    to thin...
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Two things occur to me after seeing that pic:

1. The radiused bridge is a really dumb idea that does nothing you can't do with saddle height adjusters.

2. That's a really dusty bass.
  5. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Uh, no it ain't. That's uh, just the pic. Yeah, just the pic... :ninja:
  6. That's a pesky thing when trying to get a pic up close for selling or showing off something. The flash lights up even atomic sized dust particles and makes it look like you live in a snow globe. I've tried using the "dust and scratch" filter in my paint program but I lost all the highs and couldn't hear the high-hat very good anymore! :D
  7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON

****e, I hope they work for Fender because I'm putting one on my J-Bass :meh:
  8. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    No reason for them not to 'work' on Fenders.
    No reason for them not to work on Roscoes, either.
    Just get an unradiused one.
  9. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    lol , and dont forget "dust" is mostly human skin.
  10. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    lol , and dont forget "dust" is mostly human skin.if this isnt a shop pic that is.