Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rage Against the Garden? SoundMachine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 22, 2001.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This might belong in Misc, but I wasn't sure. Please move, if needed. : - )

WEll, it is official. Chris Cornell has joined with the remnents of Rage Against the Machine. Could be interesting. The thing I never liked about Rage was that all of their songs sounded the same to me. Apparently, the stuff with Cornell is going to be more melodic.

Could be cool. Could suck. Who knows?

For an article about the merge:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/eo/20010521/en/it_s_official_rage_and_cornell_unite_1.html

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Sounds cool to me.
    I agree with about Rage. One song was nice and quite new at the time. On album was boring.
    And I always thought that RATM lacks of real singing.
    Cornell beeing a great singer (cf. Black Hole Sun), and a good songwriter, it could be great.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd buy it. I always liked Rage but thought their main weakness was De La Rocha's pseudo-vocals. A band that strong needs an equally strong vocalist...I think Cornell qualifies.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I am very interested to see what comes from that. Hopefully they put their full energy into it.

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    RATM songs did all sound the same. But i can't wait to hear what they sound like with Chris Cornell. It is ging to interesting.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Chris Cornell? He is a lot more melodic in his singing than De La Rocha. Still, it might be a good fit and might carry the band to a new heights and into new territory.

As the band does not have a recording yet, I will move this to Miscellaneous. When they do have a CD out, please report it here. I want to hear it. I can't wait, in fact.

7. I agree about De La Rocha's vocals- they are definitely an "acquired taste".;) One of the things I can say in his defense, though, is his vocals (like a lot of rap like vocalists) are based more on rhythm and less on melody and, as far as that goes, he is one of the best... a lot better then some of the other 'rap/metal' bands like Korn and Lumpy Bizcuik.

It'll be real interesting to see what comes of this. Chris Cornell is one of the best and most melodic hard rock vocalist out there. Rage, like De La Rocha, were more about rhythm and groove and less about melody, though... I think if they do a good job of feeding of each other, the could come up with something new and exciting. They will certainly need to be accommodating because they do come from different sides of the fence.

8. Well, I happen to like De la Rocha's vocals. But i like cornell's better. at least cornell stopped his solo project thing, i didn't like his solo stuff that much. This will be interesting. cant wait!

9. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    Korn is not rap-metal. :D

10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    right on! they are crap metal!

11. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    right on! they are crap metal!

Good one... and how old are you?

12. HAHA, finally JWC is back!

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    old enough to know they suck. talk to me when you get old enough to realize that too.

14. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i can't wait to see how bad they suck. i was a huge ratm fan because they moved my a?? out of my seat and made me groove. zach definately had some rhythmic and well planned vocals. tim can groove. tom can pull out some wicked crazy noises. and brad could hold it together. but chris cornell...? no way does he have anything to offer this band. it will prob. turn out to be something like creed or other junk music. on the other hand they could be like dream theatre with a more modern vocalist? that would be cool. anyways, later

15. i think it's cool. rage was definitely losing steam, they split at the right time. chris will take it in a whole different direction.

i'll be following de la rocha's solo work too, that track he did with KRS a while ago was dope.

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i can pretty much predict that it will be a whole different band and i don´t think Chris will sing Zack´s songs... unless Tom Morello arranges the songs to Chris talent.

I would buy it too, and don´t be so closeminded, RATM needed to change badly... even Zack said that RATM sounded all the same in their newer albums...

if you happen to miss Zack screaming i bet you´ll find him in his solo projects... i would buy that too :D

17. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  18. I really liked Rage's first album and then it went downhill from there. I'm all for expressing political views in music, but the lyrical content and the drop D guitar riffs all started to sound "familiar". It would be cool if they had an actual singer and didn't try to re-create the same riffs everytime.

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Rage Against the Dying of the Black Hole Sun?

20. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Elsewhere, I've seen this line-up referred to as:
    Miffed at the Machine or Indifference to the Machine.
    Either way, I'd say this is a pairing that will have a lot of people curious. MUCH more curious than the new GNR.