Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rage Against the Machine self-titled album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Jul 28, 2004.

1. So I've been listening to this CD a lot lately. I forgot how damn good it is. I think it may have the best mix that I've ever heard... the guitar sound is perfect, the drums are thunderous, and Zack's vocals are as furious as on the other albums. Does anyone know who the producer is, and why it sounds so good? To my ears, Tim Commerford sounds a lot better on this album than in Battle of Los Angeles and Evil Empire. I think he used a Stingray on this one, and he switched to a Fender Jazz bass for the other two, is this correct?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It is a good album, my favorite by RATM. I just get burnt out after a spin of any of their albums because of the "activist" lyrics.

I'm sure the producer is credited on the cd booklet.

3. yeah, he had a natural finished, pickguardless stingray. he really gets good tone in that cd.

Charlie

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think Evil Empire was their best.

Production/Lyrics/Playing

Everything peaked on that album.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i agree 100% i also much prefer the sound of the grindy jazz bass than the stingray.

6. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    GGGarth, I believe was the producer. I also just happened to see his name as the producer for Mudvayne's LD 50.

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I also prefer evil empire, better all around production, I think. But I love the tone of that ray on a lot of the songs.

8. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Thee is right:

Produced by RATM and GGGarth

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm pretty sure you mean: "Thou art right"

:bag:

10. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    :D

11. The "Ray tone on the debut album KILLS... I keep listening to the songs over and over just to hear it. I listened to Battle of Los Angeles for a little while.. the crisp, bright Stingray tone was gone, and while his tone on that album is still good, IMO it's not as defined as the one on the self-titled CD. The vocals also have a ton of reverb on Battle of LA... it kind of got annoying the more I listened to it.

12. I love the tone in "Take the Power Back" and "Killing in the Name of".

13. Good. So I'm not the only RATM fan who thinks Battle of LA is mostly a disappointment, with a few exceptions.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like all the cds, Renegades the least because its covers.

Each cd has its own good qualities.

15. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Put me down for that as well.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Indeed.

I actually liked Renegades much more than LA... I actually liked Renegades more than the Self titled! :bag:

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What do you think about the new Live album ? "Live at the Grand..."

'Yow yow yow yow yow, how many separatistas do we have in the house tonight?" :D

18. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I have the live DVD, only thing that pisses me off is that Tim's backing vocals kill some of the songs. Like people of the sun... and there was one other, oh, calm like a bomb. Though the last minute or so of "Testify" on that DVD is pretty much one of my defining moments of rock. That siren screech that tom does during the pause kills me every time.

19. Guys, I was just listening to this album today. Ain't that a coincidence. "Killing in the Name" kicks ass... Thank you and good night...

EDIT: The riff that starts out at 2:00 is awesome (one of their best). "Some of those that were forces..." part is also good...

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I actually think Tim does an OK job with backing vocals which surprised me.

The DVD was pretty bad though. Low sound quality for everyone.