Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rage Against The Machine sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by x4x, May 18, 2003.

1. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    Does anyone know what fx TC used/uses? I'm kind of a n00b here so. How does he get that growly sound? Is that overdrive or something?

Maybe i can get a simillar sound out of my ODB from Boss?

Help and comments would be appreciated

Thank you

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Welcome to Talkbass, x4x.

Tim uses a really loud tube amp to get that sound. I don't believe he uses any pedals at all, but I coudl be wrong.

Your ODB may be able to cop that sound a bit. Get a good overdrive happening, leave some low end intact, and make sure you don't make it overly bright. Having a passive bass with really big strings helps.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    dunlop bass wah, marshall guvnor distortion, a/b box and supposedly a flanger, but ive never seen him use it.

4. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Jazz bass, bridge pickup on full, some eq tweaking, then just play finger style towards the bridge. That's how I imitate his sound. Tubes or tube emulators help too. Try a Sansamp BDDI, or pick up a Peavey tube preamp on ebay real cheap.

5. to judge as to what an ODB3 sounds like in that context, here's a clip of me using an ODB3 at a gig in 1999 with my covers band on the end of RATM's "know your enemy"-

http://mysite.freeserve.com/audiofiles/Bass.mp3

(the bass on that was a Fender Precision plus with PJ p/ups)

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok were is the rest of it??? I was starting to jam and then bam it was gone!! Sounds nice!

7. unfortunately I don't have a decent webspace provider to upload the whole song (Freeserve cuts out at about 1mb files).
    -any recommendations for one?

the recording is amusing for all the swearing by the singer (currently touring in a band called Schism, supporting Violent Delight).

8. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium

9. settings on that were-

level; 12 o'clock

bass; 1 o'clock

treble; 12 o'clock

balance; 9 o'clock

gain; 9 o'clock

there was also a high mid boost on the amp mainly at 2.5k and some at 1k and 5k.

the level control will have to be adjusted to taste to balance bypass/effect on levels, or to create a boost if wanted.

the drive distortion on my Zoom 506 has a nice grind to it- only that all the bass drops out.
    I'm planning to get a Zoom 708II which allows blending the distorted and clean signals.

10. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    thanks a lot! I will try it this afternoon!

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    That's a good, quite natural overdrive sound. It doesm't color the original tone too much either. Do you find that putting the gain too high just make it sound to much like a lead guitar?

12. the ODB3 tends to sound too fizzy when the gain is set higher (actually, thinking about the guitar comment, it does sound "Isley brothers summerbreeze fuzzguitar" on higher settings) I prefer the balance control set low also, as I like the natural twang of the strings to be in there too.

ideally I'd like the EQ controls to affect just the distorted signal. so the fizzy highs could be tamed without affecting the clean signal.

dunno, the ODB3 is a bit limited...not the ideal distortion pedal- can others post RATM riffs using their fave distortion/overdrive pedals- eg. Ibanez PD7, EBS multidrive, Big muff, RAT etc.?

13. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I agree that the ODB3 is a bit limited but plenty of pro use them including Flea and Gail Ann Dorsey (plays with Davis Bowie) to name just 2. Are we just doing something wrong??

I do like the high gain sound from players like Colin Greenwood from Radiohead, but he's using lots of other gear.

14. the ODB3 is good for some things, but i find I can't get a Stranglers JJ Burnel-type midrange grunt out of it- the Zoom 506 does this though.

Flea's distorted sound (around the world) is quite fizzy, but I haven't heard Gail Ann Dorsey's distorted sound though.

15. here's another clip from the same gig-
    the beginning to "bombtrack".

when I have to do backing vocals it's difficult to click the pedal on and get to the mike to yell "burn!" for the chorus:D

16. Really well done! You guys nail the whole RATM vibe quite well. :cool:

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    "Revolver" is a fun one to play.

Don't ask for the settings on this one, there are about 25 knobs involved. . . :D

Revolver

18. I thought he used some kind of octaver on the first album to achieve that really low end rumble. Could be wrong though, just my ears...