Rage Against the Machine vs. Audioslave

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Dec 13, 2004.

1. for those who understand my signature and have read my profile, i am a HUGE Rage Against the Machine fan. I'm sure this topic is common in the music world everytime that crappy band audioslave release a new single, whats better Rage or Audioslave? Musically, Audioslave is better because Chris Cornell has a good rock voice, but honestly, audioslave is ****ing horrible, i much rather hear Zach about politics and his rapping over insane playing instead of Chris Cornell Bitch about his horrible life. I'm sure Tom, Brad, and Tim all have their political stands but they dont seem to promote it as much now that chris cornell is their frontman, and it is horrible. Now let me ask your opinion, Rage Against the Machine or Audioslave?

P.S. December 31st, 2005 Rage Against the Machine is supposed to do a Reunion show and later on in 2006 possibly a new CD. I heard this all on MTV news one day, not the most reliable source, but i hope they are right for once.
  2. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I don't much like either but if I had to choose one I would say Rage Against the Machine.

My friend walked into Guitar Center one time and was getting help from an employee. My friend asked him what bands he liked, and he said Audioslave. Then my friend told him straight up that they sucked.

I have never seen anyones facial expression change so drastically from pride, to horrid disbelief. :)
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think that any true fan wouldnt try and compare them... im a fan of both and i respect them each for what they are. They are different bands, just 3 of the same members.
  4. I definitely prefer Rage. Granted, I haven't given Audioslave a thorough listening, but what I heard lacked the character of RATM. It's inevitable to compare the two. But if Audioslave existed without Rage, I still wouldn't be too impressed. It's nothing special. It's not bad by any means, but it's nothing groundbreaking. Rage was unique.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Dude, your friend must feel like such a man....he really put that GC employee in his place.

IMO they are both different, but if I had to buy a CD it would be RATM.

6. hah nice if someone in my presence said tha taudio slave was the greatest band id just make them go away.
  7. that is funny! Those cocky GC guys...

anyways, i really like Them both and i think Figjam and mark are right...they are two different bands. one is a hard rock group (for the most part) and the other is a rap-rock group. i like them both, but all my friends agree that RATM is better than Audioslave, but i do remind them that most of their favorite RATM songs came out ten years after they got together, and now all of a sudden we are expecting them to crank out awesome songs right away. granted that RATM's first cd was pure awesomeness, they still put it together a while after they started writing! imo we shouldn't compare them until Audioslave comes out with some new cds a few years down the road. as big of a fan of audioslave and rage that i am, i hate to admit it, but i don't see audioslave lasting for that long, since cornell seems to be a tad inconsistant in performances and i hear that he was having problems before their first cd even came out...although i find it wierd that RATM would be getting back together because the last news i heard was that Audioslave was waiting for recording time...i dunno...either way, i say they can't be compared.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Comeone people... Rage is THE ****, Audioslave, IS the ****. I mean, Audioslave is ALRIGHT, not the same kind of band at all, but they don't nearly compare to Rage, most bands don't :D.
  9. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Never bought a Rage CD, but did buy the Audioslave CD.

I'm getting older, so Im kind of getting tired of people screaming at me. :). But IMO: Even though I was never a Rage fan I think both of are great.

I'm just not into telling people that who they listen to "SUCKS". One thing I do hate is someone preachen there politacal Views at me.
  10. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Soundgarden and RATM wre both leagues above Audioslave, in my eyes. IT was mostly a vodal thing for me. Cornell's voice just never meshed with the bands music to my ears. And I'm not really concerned with either bands "message", although I suspect if I had been larger fans of them, I'd be more interested.
  11. Although I haven't heard much of Audioslave I would prefer Rage only because they had more media spotlight on them

But like invisiman said its a vodal :D thing that has a difference for me ( by hearing the vocal lines with the music somehow connects that's IMO of course )
  12. Wow...and I thought I was the Universal Expert on Cool Music. I guess I should stop telling strangers that they have bad taste in music and consult your friend before buying that next CD.

Back to the subject: Isn't this really a debate about which singer fits the band better? For anyone dogging Audioslave: If Zach sung on the last Audio album and they put Rage's name on the cover, you'd be trampling each other to buy it.

Me personally? I like them both.

13. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    2 completely different bands.

however, i didnt care much for the audioslave thing. tom just seems to be really taking over the whole thing. i mean toward the end of rage (battle of LA) that whole album seemed way to hip hop and pedal abused to me. i suppose thats a combo of both zack and tom. but audioslave albeit a great band i think is something for morrello to show he aint all about pedal pushing but watch me do it anyway.... maybe im wrong on all that. but thats my pennies.
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't see why people are saying they are two completely different bands. They sound nearly identical to me, with only a change in the singer. RATM was rarely groundbreaking or interesting - it was mostly recycled Black Sabbath riffs with weird guitar solos and rapping (with exception of Evil Empire, which was excellent). Audioslave is a slight variation on the theme. I do think that both bands are good, just not terribly creative.
  15. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA

BTW thats the way my friend is. After he did that he asked me "Was that wrong?" All I could say was "dude, did you see the expression on his face?". I think he felt bad about doing it, but what can I say...he's an open minded person. :)
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah. Me too.
    RATM > Soundgarden > Audioslave is the order for me
  17. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Comparing Audioslave and RATM, I can at least understand...but comparing them with Soundgarden? That is comparing apples and papayas. (or prunes, but a prune isn't really a vegetable)

I'm not going into this comparison-thing, but I can tell you that listening to the album Superunknown has been one of the most rewarding musical experiences in my life.
  18. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    If you havent heard Loud Love or Badmotorfinger yet...then you are truly missing out.

but i dont think that anyone can sing like that for more than a few years before they really hurt themselves. i still listen to Rage and Soundgarden on a frequent basis. when audioslave comes on i usually turn the station. but i am not going to say one is better than the other. i just have my preferences.

i dont think the radio friendly market right now is too good to people who arent screaming their lungs out (in a good way). it seems to be mellow times for most bands. But, then i do live in one of the most musically confined places i have ever been.
  19. honestly, any bands that break up and form new bands with other members of broken up bands should not happen, Audioslave is a bust, and so is that new Velvet Revolver band with the former members of STP and Guns n Roses they play from on New York 92.3 Krock all the time and its so damn annoying.
  20. Besides Bulls on Parade and Vietnow, Evil Empire sounded just like the self titled cd. Battle of Los Angeles I thought was their best cd. It was still RATM but with newer songs that all didn't sound the same and were well written. Renegades of Funk was a pretty good cd too, shame they broke up though.