Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rage on Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Eyargh! I'm just posting this topic to vent where people understand instead of saying "Saddles? Truss rod? What are you talking about?"

Ok, I send my bass with pickups and preamp to be installed by this guy at my dad's work on Friday. I picked it up today. 5 days to do a pickup/preamp change -- the only reason I didn't take it back at the end of Monday and get a pro to do it was because he was doing it for free and knew what he was doing. Or at least, let's hope so (and if he screwed it up, it's my own damn fault for not having a pro do it). If I'd known it would take FIVE DAYS, I would've just paid someone to do it, but that's over with. Now, the new knob config calls for two stacked knobs. Fine. I called this store in the same town last night, asking if they had any in stock. The guy says yes, they have them in stock. I get there today, irritated beyond belief, and the guy there now says they don't have any in stock and don't carry them regularly. Then he was all sarcastic until my father and I left. Prick. We get home (note that at this point, I leave the christmas present for my dad in the bag on the table and go get the dog to take it, and when I get back, it's gone -- takes me 10 minutes of pure and utter frustration to find it), and I start to restring the bass with the old D'addarios. Now, the string is ridiculously low and I lost the allen key that adjusts the saddles months ago. Seeing as how I was putting a Badass II on later anyway, I just put that on (since I still have that key). It's all on, and I start to string up with the new strings (TI JR344s). I adjust the string height to the maximum the saddle will go, but it's still way too low at the 1st-3rd frets. So I look around in my allen key set for an allen key to adjust the truss rod, and there isn't one. Now, one might fit, but the damn thing is attached at the long end to a ring and the hooked end is too short to reach the rod. The hardware store here is closed for the night and won't be open tomorrow or boxing day, so yeah, I'll have been without a bass for a week, with mass frustration building up to some kind of nervous breakdown climax later today. I know I should just relax and get over it, but no matter how many times I tell myself that it doesn't make the situation any less frustrating.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    man, i thought it was gonna be about RATM :(. :p

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ditto.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Damn it all! More rage! One of the screws came out of the E string saddle! GRAAHH! RAGE!

...found it.

Second Edit!

It wooooorks! After mucho frustration, it works WONDERFULLY!

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Decaf.

6. me too.:) :D

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

lol

8. Thank you Dave

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    hehehehheeheheh..

10. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Yea, that sucks, but it could be worse...

I was at work today when there was an explosion that shook the building (and scared the hell out of me). It turned out that someone's boat exploded to kibbles and bits... he's not going to have a merry Christmas at all...

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    And I thought it was going to be about Rage (the German band)

12. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    im sorry, maybe i dont know whats in this christmas season, but would someone mind explaining to me what RATM is?

13. SilverELEX

SilverELEX

Oct 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Rage Against The Machine....

14. Lets steal the thread.... He he he...

I am a huge Rage/Audioslave fan. Tim Commerford rules.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    He does indeed! See his section in "Bass Gear"? Very interesting setup, but it's rather disappointing that he doesn't tell what's on his effects board.

16. I know how ya feel, Govithoy!

When I got my grabber, god only knows how many times i strung & restrung that bass, due to changing the bridges!!

And once I finally decided which bridge i wanted to use, I decided the strings could be lower. Off comes the neck and we make a shim.

geh!

17. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

18. i'm itchin' to go watch my ratm dvd and see tim c tear it up. it "battle of mexico city." should be neato.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    By the way the Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium is insanely awesome!1 It has part of the Nation Democratic Convention thing on it too (where the cops busted em up and mowed down the crowd with rubber bullets and tear gas).

20. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I agree. You should watch this first and then the actual preformance because Zach makes a bunch of references to it.