1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rain And Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Jul 28, 2009.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I did a gig this past saturday, and when the show was over it was raining outside, before I knew it was raining me and a friend had taken my Mark Bass 6x10 cab out the door face up, to carry it down some stairs, rolled it a few feet and placed it immediately in an SUV, It wasn't raining really hard but needless to say some water did get on the cab and maybe through the grill holes. I'm wondering if this will distort my speakers?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I'd expect that if you let your speakers dry thoroughly before using the cab again then they should be fine.

Perhaps you know someone who could make covers for your gear?

3. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    +1

4. Hi.

If Your cab isn't made out of sugar, I'd say it'll survive ;).

Regards
    Sam

5. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks for the reply MIJ-VI, It stood in my living room for about 24 hours before I used it again, and so far I havn't heard any problems but I haven't cranked up the power to really know if any damage has been done. I don't see any water spots on the speakers but I really don't know how much water it takes to ruin a speaker. I will take your advice and have someone make a cover for it, better safe than sorry. Thanks.

6. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks T-Bird, because I'd hate to have this thing melt on me :) I've heard that water will distord speakers, how MUCH water I don't know. I will look into having a cover made for it though.

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Be sure to take her out to a good restaurant. :)

8. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm wondering why it was carried face up?

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Moisture isn't the kiss of death, but it can be. Best to avoid at all times. I got caught at an outdoor event that went from sunny and clear to a severe thunderstorm and heavy rain in about 2 minutes. I had failed to think about the PA speakers sitting out and they got pretty wet. As stated, let your stuff dry good. I used a fan to blow over everything that got wet. They eventually worked fine. Covers are best, bit an inexpensive solution is have a tarp handy and wrap it around the gear. I have 2 extra large ones and several small ones standing by just for that purpose. :cool:

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    +1000 :rollno:

11. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Well the reason it was carried face up is because the way this particular cab is made, there are handlels in the back and it leans back in on wheels in order to push it, so with it alread leaning back, he had the handles and I just picke it up from the bottom, it wasn't raining very hard and by the time I knew it was raining we were already out. It seems to be ok but I will SURE keep a cover near by just in case, especially looking at Oren Hudson's point that weather can change at any given time with no warning, I wouldn't want to have a soaked cab on my hands.