1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Rain" by the Beatles

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    What do you think of McCartney's bass line on this? (Sorry, I couldn't find an isolated track)
    Personally I love every note choice. I used to practice it to develop my own playing.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    One of the best bass lines ever recorded. Probably my favorite of any Beatles song.

OEW3, JMacBass65, garp and 2 others like this.
  3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Truly another great example of Paul's work.

Here's another:

pcake, LowNloud1, garp and 1 other person like this.
  4. I have always loved the whole song and especially the bass line, the thing I loved about his playing was that he always played with feeling.

Rocker949, garp and nixdad like this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh Darling is an example of this. It's downright sloppy in parts and brilliant all at the same time!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    "Rain" is quite wonderful. I'm very much enamored with Paul's bass work – though not quite enough to splurge for the 50th anniversary edition of "Sgt. Pepper's" – I own that one the way it was originally released in '67, and that's more than enough for me.

JimK and nixdad like this.
  7. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    There's a one-disc version with the new Pepper mix. No splurging necessary. It sounds incredible.

GregC, nixdad and OldDog52 like this.
  8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I wonder if Rain can be classed as the first stoner rock tune?

9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Great Thread! Sir Paul is a genius.

nixdad likes this.
  10. Always loved that song.
    This will be my weekend project...

nixdad likes this.
  11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I don't know. It was, however, LSD-inspired. But it wasn't the first song inspired by that and it won't be the last. I can't decide if Rain or Something is my favorite Paul McCartney bass line.

nixdad likes this.
  12. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Rain, for me, over Something. The latter is an impressively tasteful line. The bassline to Rain is quintessential Beatles and '60s psychedelia, and has been recycled and reused in every wave of psychedelia since. It is the benchmark for that upper-register pillowy bass sound.

Case in point:

bassobrutto, JimK, delta7fred and 3 others like this.
  13. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005

Yes, I agree. But sometimes there can be too much of a good thing. I have caught myself several times sounding like I'm intentionally trying to copy that sound. Really, I'm not. I've just been very influenced by it. That and Carl Radle's style which I haven't even listened to that much, but it still sometimes sounds like I'm trying to copy him. I love the upper-register pillowy bass sound, but I love it too much for my own good is the point. I often sound like I'm stuck in a late 60s time warp.

MuffledBoomy, nixdad and Axstar like this.
  14. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    And this is bad...why? :)

Seriously though, I do understand what you are getting at but if one is well-versed enough and looks long enough at any modern tune, it is apparent that there are obvious influences/homages to multiple artists and styles. So if EVERYTHING is a re-mix of what came before, why let it stop your joy and creativity?

nixdad likes this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    rain's got some tasty bass, but hey bulldog is my personal fave.

nixdad and Axstar like this.
  16. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    It doesn't stop my joy and creativity. But if I'm playing with someone who may want a different and especially a more modern sound my usual playing may not fit the bill. It's no big deal. I've got way more demanding things in life than this to deal with. Music is my great joy in life, though. Overall, I'm doing fine with it.

Indiedog and nixdad like this.
  17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    A masterpiece. George Martin was very fond of Paul's bass in that, too.

pcake and nixdad like this.
  18. Boristhespyder

Boristhespyder Guest

Feb 12, 2016
    Too many choices. Day Tripper one of my favourites. Just picked up the 2 CD and the 2 vinyl record anniversary editions of Sgt Pepper today. Some good listening tomorrow!

OldDog52 and nixdad like this.
  19. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I bought the CD. Like it so much I also ordered the vinyl. :)

Boristhespyder likes this.
  20. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Lennon's backwards vocal at the end is the icing on the cake on this classic tune.

JimK likes this.