Raise Amp/Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Dec 30, 2002.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    aight, how do some of you raise your amp/cab?

i thought my keyboard stand would do it, but it is way to high (4x10 with a rack on top) and is too weak. my gear is kinda heavy and would like to get some ideas on the cheapest and sturdiest way to raise my cab/rack about 2 to 2.5 feet. i don't want to angle my rig.

thinking about making something out of wood, but portability is an issue (i have a mitsu galant); not everything is willing to fit in my sedan.

any ideas?

this is the gear that i have:

hartke 4x10
    rack: qsc rmx 1450, ampeg svt-pro and a rack tuner in an skb
  2. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    At a show my band played saturday the PA man lost one of his speaker stands so he just grabed a chair that was sitting around and set the PA cab on that. It worked pretty well. So you could always just look for spare chairs at the venue... no need to transport anything.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    interesting, that's an idea, i wonder how sturdy it is?
  4. Hi!

A milk crate (or two) works great. Raising the cabinet isolates the sound off the floor (vibrations, etc.)...some cats like it, some don't. I use two, side by side, for a 1x15 and a 4x10 stacked. They're easy to use and can hold cables, stomp boxes, whatever when not holding up your cabinets. Throw a cloth over it if you're worried about how it looks.

5. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Well, it was an old solid wood chair with no wheels so it was pretty sturdy. I actually ran into it a couple times and it stayed solid.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Sturdiness depends on the chair and your cabinet, which will vary depending on what's handy. But your sound's sure to suffer...taking a cabinet off the ground is guaranteed to slash and burn your low end.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was thinking about this!!! let's say my rig is about 150 pounds, will two of the crates side by side hold my rig? my concern would be that they don't support the rig. where did you get the crates? i would take a few from the grocery store, but it is illegal in texas to steal these!!! :eek:
  9. Stealing is illegal in Massachusetts, too. However, I did have a few crates around...someone was actually throwing them away. Good luck acquiring some.

My 4x10 and 1x15 sit atop the two crates fine...their combined weight is well over 150 lbs. A single amp on top should be alright (I've done that), but more than that I'd put on the floor next to the stack.

Have fun.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks, jimmy
  11. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    You can get metal bar crates like you would use in a workshop at any hardware store. Might be a good option if your worried about strength; these things are indestructable.
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was looking at homedepot.com and lowes.com, what should i search for? is it in the toolbox section? thanks!
  13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    If all you got to worry about is a 4x10 and a rack then two plastic milk crates will do the job perfectly.
    Swing by Tom Thumb, Albertson's, Kroger, etc...... and just ask someone in the milk isle if they have a couple of spare crates you can have/buy. Give em' 10 bucks for a couple if you have to.....I've used em' before and they do the job you're needing wonderfully. (Plus they do a great job of carrying cables and misc. stuff.)
    I personally like my cab's on the floor so it resonates but thats just me.
    Depending on where you are in TX. I have a garage full of crates if you simply can't find any..gimme a shout an we'll see what we can do.
  14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have you tried putting your cab on top of your rack? I saw a band this past weekend where the bass player put his avatar 4x10 on top of a 12 space SKB rack.
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Cool thing about the milk crates is you can throw cables and other odds and ends in them to carry in and out.

We have used them to carry PA stuff for as long as I can remember.

Personally, I hate the way a bass cab sounds when elavated, but if you want to do it, a milk crate will work just fine.

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    When I used an Eden Metro, I sometimes put it on an amp stand, which angled it up and I could hear it well. But it does reduce perceived low end and you may want to adjust settings. If I used Metro with another cab, I just put Metro on the cab. Now I use SVT tube head and 4X10, normally putting them both on top of a rolling heavy duty ATA case, which holds backup head inside. I've also used thick blocks of rigid foam (works similar to Auraflex or whatever that company is) to raise the cab up 6 inches or so. Some rooms you don't need to raise the cab. Other rooms, even with raising the cab, the boom is there. Ferinstance- playing on a wooden raised stage or platform----you better isolate it or all you'll hear will be mush. Normally I keep it off the floor for 2 reasons. Reduce the boom, and let myself hear the bass better without killing everyone else with volume. In my opinion you don't have to buy an expensive isolation thing with multiple layers of different materials. Just get a good, rigid block of foam that basically covers the bottom dimension of your rig, and raises it 6 inches or so. Or, if you carry a spare head on gigs, put it in a case large enough to fit under your cab. Should be plenty of isolation, and if your main head craps out, bingo, your spare is ready to come out.
  17. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Yeah......what he said.:D
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i thought about that but:

1) my gut doesn't like me bending over
    2) my skb is already falling apart
  19. Why on earth do ya want to lift a 4x10 off the ground? You will lose a lot of your bottom end. Is it to hear yourself better? Stand a bit further from your cab. Still no good? Put your cab the other side of the drummer. Better still, work on developing your ears so you can hear. That's all it is. If you concentrate, you will learn to isolate your sound from what's going on around you, without turning up ridiculously loud. Bin there, done that.
  20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    the Argument for seperating the speaker from the floor is eliminate the viareable of the floor coupling bass boost. Different floors different interactions. The vibrationms of other istrument hsa effect on the box of your spearker Cab Theres a company That makes something just to isolate the Amp.

Of corse if just raising it up to hear it better is what your trying to do then the amp stand embelisher posted are cool There beter for cobos though because you have to find a place for the head.