Raised saddle calculator

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Felix Habel, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Felix Habel

Felix Habel

Mar 28, 2006
    Pescara/Italy
    Hello!
    I want to share my recent achievement with you. Some 15 years ago I had the intuition that tuning down a double bass one could simulate the same release in downward pressure of the bridge a raised saddle would produce. My idea was that one could find the tuning where the instrument works best and with that number calculate the exact height of the raised/high saddle. I did some tests and found that on some instruments which probably suffered excessive bridge pressure some improvement could be observed when tuned somewhat lower but at the time I didn't manage to work out the maths correctly. Now, some weeks ago, the same problem showed up and so I got back on that and finally got the maths done! I've put all the calculation in an interactive PDF file to make it available to everyone. I hope this is of some interest for some of you.

Attached Files:

2. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    Denver, CO
    been looking for a calculator like this for ages. thanks a ton

Felix Habel likes this.
  3. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Back in September I sat down to figure this out on my bass... Should have just been patient ;) Thanks for this tool!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021