1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raising a bass cabinet off the floor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassballs27, Dec 22, 2016.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    I've had the very lucky experience of playing and owning some of the best bass guitar cabinets that the world has to offer. I've had the experience of mixing cabs, using identical cabs, and using just one cabinet. I've even been able to play with 4 huge cabs at once using my QSC Power amp.

For many years I used mixed cabs, a 4x10 + 1x15, 2x10 + a 1x15 too.
    Ultimately I found I never paid attention to how the entire rig was operating and realized that working with extra cabinets didn't add much.

Using a pair of identical cabs was a bit better, but still don't care for it.
    I did prefer stacking cabs as oppose to side by side.

I really enjoyed playing large cabinets, usually on their own.....but had loads of fun with an Aguilar DB810 and DB412 together. They sounded fantastic together, but on their own....not really.

I've often though that since I had such good luck with bigger cabs / stacked cabinets that it was because these cabinets had better dispersion. I've read a lot that bass does better in a vertical column for overall dispersion. It also depends on if the cabinet is sitting on casters or flat on the floor for the added coupling effect. I guess that depends on the floor construction as well (don't want to get into rooms just yet)

What I'm getting at is may is what I've been pondering recently. Would it make sense to build a nice wood box to raise a bass cabinet off the floor? That way a smaller cabinet will actually better project at ear level? I have obviously worked with two cabinets and turned on off......and it didn't change a whole lot.....but what if the riser was engineered to aid in projection? Has anyone ever done something with this before?

Remyd likes this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There's a reason why stage monitors tilt back, you hear better. This is a good product If you want to tilt you amp back. Ampwedge

I find that raising a cabinet above the floor, so you can hear better, makes a big difference. My highest stand is about 36".

boynamedsuse likes this.
  3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Aren't you then losing the more expansive low end you get from the coupling effect of the cabinet with the floor?

leonard and G RICH 5 like this.
  4. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Nice product!

How is your stand constructed?

5. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    I figure you can't get something for nothing.
    Cutting some lows might not be bad. At least the really low frequencies that sound boomy.

JonnnyC, BAG and Mugre like this.
  6. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    My cabs (410's) sit on the floor. Whether at practice or gigs the always sound amazing. I found the saturating them with the power they really want makes them sing. I use 1 410 for small situations. And stack a second on top for when that stadium gig comes around. My cads aren't anything special either. My top cab is a GK SBX? I think. I replaced all the drivers in it with Eminence B810's. It has a tweeter or horn in it. Not really sure witch but I have it set at its lowest setting. That cab can handle 650 watts. My lower cab is an old, heavy as sin GK GLX cab. Remember? The ones that had gold speakers. I replaced all the drivers with the 200 watt GK replacement speakers offered from GK themselves. I power them with the GK MB800. When I use just one cab I can ram up 500 watts. When I use both ...well... MB800's have been known to push upwards of 1000 watts. Of course I never approach full output. So my sound stays clean and punchy.

Feed you cabs and they will love you.

7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You can test a wedge by sticking under the front of the cab, books, 2X4, whatever is on hand.

I use an ATA case, basically a strong plywood box with foam in it. I also sometimes use an unused Leslie cabinet.

As for other examples, here is a nice one that you can build: My DIY Bass Amp/Cab Stand – version 2. Below is the stand that Will Lee used on Letterman for his 410.

will lee amp stand.JPG

Seth Miller and Snaxster like this.
  8. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Why is the Fender head upside down?

9. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
  10. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I think a lot of this has to do with having to carry the room or just hear yourself

I have one of these and in the past used it often, when I wanted to bring one cabinet and have it at ear level to hear myself without really loud stage volume.
    On-Stage Stands WS8540 Heavy-Duty T-Stand - Medium-format

It is quite common for touring pros to use a 4x10 cabinet and use their ATA touring case as a stand.

It is less effective if you are playing a gig without PA support and I haven't played a gig in 10 years where the amp is hitting you in the back of the knees from 2 feet away it just causes problems.

The other key is I bring my ditto looper to every gig and it gives you the opportunity to lay down a line at sound check and then go hear what's going on out in the room or what the other guys on stage may be hearing.

That being said my preferred solution is a vertical stack

It's a great question and I like to hear other folks input.

LowDownHawkeye, Oddly and bassballs27 like this.
  11. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Only if you raise it by three feet or more, and then you lose some midbass, not low bass. That can be a good thing, you can raise it to compensate for a boomy room.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    That was Sid McGinnis' guitar rig. He's an amp builder/tinkerer. The tubes normally hang down, perhaps he inverted it for better air flow.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have seen a few of these for guitar in Nashville. They supposedly catch the sound from the back of the speakers (open back amps) and force it out front. Maybe you could incorporate something like this design, especially if you have rear ported cabs.
    Enhancer.

I use a mixer stand rated at 300 pounds to get my stuff off the ground. Works great.

14. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA

Even trying to hear myself while practicing is an issue I'm getting at.
    A 4x10 sitting on the ground sounds good......but an 8x10 just sounds better as it projects better.

I'm always toying around getting a Fearful 1515/66 or Fearless 215 for some super dispersion.
    But I can understand for the most part, a monster cab like that can be unnecessary.

Makes sense to make use of the great cabinets that have existed for years.

I once read a thread from very many many years ago stating about a great suggestion with the whole 4x10/1x15 combo.......why not stack the 15 on top? The only problem is.....the 410 is likely to have a higher sensitivity and will probably sound perceptively louder....but at least the low end is kept on the bottom.

15. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I've seen pros here in Nashville take a 4x10 (for instance) and set it on top of the heavy duty flight case they brought it to the gig in. Gets it up closer to ear level, and they still only have a single cab to lug around.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  16. Heat rises. The tubes were heating up the rest of the circuit/chassis, so he flipped it upside down to keep the circuit cool. All that temp cycling can wreak havoc on solder joints and electrolytic capacitors.

beans-on-toast and Indexed like this.
  17. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Sorry your having issues hearing yourself at practice. You need a 410. Heck everybody needs one. Mine always cut through at practice and I always use just one. I even set it about parallel to where the drummer is sitting. He hears me fine and I project all over the place.

Of course I consider my rig a freak of nature because of how good it sounds.

18. I spent a lot of time engineering this solution - works very well:
    AmpStand.

19. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I use a Quiklok ws540, most shows. I have a block of wood to use as a wedge if that route is needed. The ws540 is nice in that it will sit over the top of most fender guitar amps. On tight stages that has been real handy.

Passinwind likes this.
  20. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This is my preferred solution, although I still onto amp stand

210av mo. IMG_9168.JPG

nickrs540, tubatodd and spaz21387 like this.