raising a pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nathan, Jan 26, 2005.

1. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    How would I go about raising a pickup on a 4 string flea bass? Is it something I can do by myself or should I take it in and let a professional do it?
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How is the pickup held in place? On my Sei six-string, the bartolini pickups are held on with allen key bolts. I recently adjusted the pickups to get better balance across the strings - making small adjustments and listening between each one. I started with quarter turns and ended finding that full turns were suitable for the bolts used.

3. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    mine are held in with small screws. 2 on one side, and 1 on the other. I'm guessing just messing with the screws would raise and lower it
  4. This was taken from the Modulus Flea bass manual.. Not sure if it's the same as your bass.

Height Adjustment
    Pickup height is set at the factory for even string balance and output. Depending on your playing style and string choice, you may want to change the factory settings.

A three-point adjusting system allowing for pickup angle as well as height adjustment. Height is set by turning the adjusting screws clockwise to lower the pickup, counter-clockwise to raise the pickup. Standard height at the factory is 1/8” from the top of the pickup cover to the bottom edge of the string (depressed at the 22nd fret). Adjust the angle of the pickup so that it is parallel to the strings.