Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

raising action on a longhorn...tilt neck? raise bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deepestend, Nov 15, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I just got a used danelectro longhorn mailed to me. The guy took the neck off to mail it and when I reattatched the neck and set it up with a new set of Rotosound flatwounds, the strings touched the frets around the neck pickup. I think that the problem is that the bridge is too low-- and it has a rosewood saddle that is not adjustable.

What's the best way to get the action to a tolerable level? I temporarily put some cardboard under the bridge to raise it a little. The only problem is that the cardboard pretty drastically cut the bass's sustain. Should I put a piece of cardboard in the neck pocket instead?

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    You shouldn't use any cardboard at all. A piece of wood would (pardon the expression) be better.

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    That makes sense... where should I put it?

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Is it possible to remove the rosewood? If so, I suggest you build your own bridge just a little higher. How high it must be depends entirely on your preference. It's cheaper than the alternative below.

Otherwise, Allparts has an adjustable Danelectro bass bridge. I believe it's an official Danelectro replacement part.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd get an direct replacement <st1 ="">Neptune</st1> adjustable bridge from Jerry Jones who makes really great Dano copies.

If you want to shim up the one you have take it off the bass and get some maple veneer putting as many layers as needed between bridge and body.

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I just e-mailed Jerry Jones to see if he has anything in stock... in the meantime, though, would it make a difference if I put the shims between the bass body and the bridge, or underneath the rosewood saddle?

7. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Underneath the saddle is easier (as it can be removed). A little wood glue, some clamping and about a week later, you have a taller saddle that's every bit as strong as the old one.

8. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions... I think I will remove the bridge and then put shims under the rosewood saddle. Does it matter what kind of wood I use? Can I just use whatever hardwood is available? If I had a piece of metal, could I use that instead?

9. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Well, I suppose if this is going to be a permanent solution, you might want to use a nice wood. Any wood will work; experiment until you find a combination you like best. Metal isn't your best choice because of the issue of connecting it. The other side would be metal on metal, and there's something about that idea that doesn't sit right with me.