1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

raising bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ivanfeg, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi all, I'm trying to raise the pickups on my bass. But when ever I unscrew the screws on the pickups, all taht happens is the screw comes out. when I've untitened the screw enough, I can manualy lift the pickups, but it falls back to its original posission. Same thing happens when I try to hold the pickup higher and retiten the screw. Any ideas?

2. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    so those screws don't raise and lower the pickups like a 6 string eletric guitar?

3. On my Ibanez Sr600 there is foam under the p/ups.On my Ibanez BTB there are springs under the P/ups. Some P/ups have springs for adjustment some have foam has been my findings .

4. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    Beeing blind, would it be a good idea to just have a bass tech do the job? Have you gotta take off the back plate to do this?

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I had repeated frustrations with weather sealing foam losing its spring and failing to push pickups up to the desired height.

Finally, I cut up an old mouse pad, used the appropriate number of layers (not too loose, not too tight) and the problem was solved!

Being blind should not prevent one from being able to do this - being mechanically un-savvy might.

6. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    So must I remove the back plate to do this? If so I'll just take it to my bass tech.

7. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Not sure what you mean by back plate - on a standard P or J bass you have to loosen the strings, remove the pickup screws then lift out the pickups to tinker with the foam beneath them.

If you are not comfortable with a bit of disassembly, might as well get a tech to do it.

8. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    It will help if you tell us what kind of bass you have.
    On my 4003 rickenbacker I've to tighten the screws to lift the pickup, on my Geddy and my CV60 p bass I've to loosen the screws in order to raise the pickups.
    Seems like your bass lack these screws or foam.

9. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    Do you have a bass that has the screws inserted directly in the wood? (like Fenders and many others).
    I had this issue with many instruments, in my experience the reasons were:
    - the screws are inserted badly into the wood, so they are screwed in a non perpendicular way. The pickup will raise and left free only if all the screws are loosened completely, then you have to re-screw them to obtain the desired height
    - the foam under the PU is insufficient, replace it or add material