Raising my action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chips, Feb 24, 2004.

1. hello badgers,

My action is set at 2mm on all strings (measured from the very top of the neck) and when i play a bit harder or just normally i get a bit of clacky action going on and some buzzing on my D and G string... *giggles at g-string* srry :rolleyes: so i wanna raise my action, how high should i go for and should i get it done at a shop or myself... I'm going to megamusic on thurs night anyways coz i dropped my bass and snapped off a tuning knob :( any advice would be great...

Chips :bassist:
  2. Your action height is a function of neck relief, bridge saddle height, nut height, and fret condition. Your playing style dictates how low an action will work for you on your bass. Neck relief, bridge saddle height, and your right hand technique are the big issues. There is no short answer to this question. If you want the right answer, as opposed to a quickie, read the Guitar Player Repair Guide. Then you will know! If you are not willing to invest the time to learn how to do this kind of work, have a pro look at it. Personally, $20 and a few hours of reading that book is one of the best investments in gear I ever made.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    2nd Tom's comments. There's a setup poll going on now and I think it was 87% of the respondents on talkbass did their own setups. Even if you don't end up doing your own, understanding the priniciples invovled adds a dimension to your playing. And if you end up doing your own you will see changes your bass is going through that you would never notice otherwise and come to understand them in time. Maintaining and modifying your bass is as rewarding as playing it.

There's also basic setup instructions on the net. Among others bass player online has one that will get you started, if $20 is a choke.
  4. Part of the problem you're experiencing may come from a poorly adjusted neck. You mention a 2mm spacing at the top of the neck. Since neck relief is measured more at the center of the neck it isn't surprising you've got yours too high.

Do what the others have said. To start take a look at the Gary Willis site for a ground up explanation of the entire process.