Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raising pickups question..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jm1, Mar 15, 2004.

1. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    Recently I raised the action on my bass, and noticed I lost some punch and volume, so I decided to raise my pickups. I did it and it sounded alot better than before. For some reason, the left side of my pickups (side facing upward when straped on, right handed) goes back down. I can't seem to keep them up, and am wondering if theres something more I must do to prevent this. All helpful replies appreciated.

Thank you for your help,
    jm1

2. I was having the same problem last night while working on a friend's Rogue bass. It has split-style P-bass-type pickups.
    The problem is that on this bass there is only a wood screw on each side of the pickups, screwed into the body wood. There's no way to raise one side of p'up without pushing the other side down. No way to raise (and keep) both sides up at the same time. This is very annoying.
    I'm going to have a look-see today to see if I can find a way to correct this.
    Could you specify what type of bass, what type of pickups, and what type of adjusting screws they have in them?

Mag...

3. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    You could put something under the pup, like a piece of plastic of the appropriate thickness. That's if the screws have enough lenght in them (i understand they do) to still hold the pups. I'm not sure if it has any negative effects, hope someone can cut in if there are any.

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    get some tiny springs and place them on the bottom of the screw (between the bottom of the pup and the cavity of the bass). They usually come with some or a spongy plastic ring. Maybe yours got lost?

5. I have a MIM jazz. each pickup has 4 holes for screws

Right now i have 2 screws on one pickup and 3 on the other. the problem is that the holes in the body aren't lined up very well. in the original pickups, the p/u casing just flexed to allow the screws to go into their holes. now i've got emg's in it, and the case is a lot stiffer, so i had the same problem you seem to have had. if i put all the screws in, there's only one height where the screws can all be in. using fewer screws allowed me to be able to move the pickups up and down. a reall PITA.

6. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    Ibanez GSR200, stock P/J pickups, metal adjusting screws, very long.

I might try the spring idea, when I get my hands on some springs. Possibly later today.

7. springs will only work if you can slide the pickups up and down on the screws right now. if they slide back down all the screws when you pull them up, springs will help. if they're only sliding on two screws, springs won't likely be enough force to hold them up.

stacked chunks of old mouse pad work well for me.

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I find that folded up pieces of gauze (yes, the medical type)
    work very well.

9. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003

10. I went ahead and pulled the pickups in the Rogue last night. I had a good laugh when the only thing I saw beneath the pickups was a chunk of foam. It was supposed to be used as a spring beneath them, and it wasn't doing its job.

One of the pickup mounting screw holes had been drilled out of place, causing one side to bind. I corrected this.

Found four 3/4" soft springs that fit the wood screw shafts and installed them under the p'ups. Works great now.

I guess one cannot expect much from a 79.00 bass guitar, but geez... anyway.. thanks for the ideas..

Mag...

11. as general criteria:
    1) a piece of adequate thickness (you'll judge) sponge material will not hurt under the pickup and will help it in "floating"
    2) springs "wrapping" the 4 screws wil help, too
    3) whenever the holes are not drilled exactly on line, just fill them with common tootpicks after having dipped them in the white vinilic glue (no joke!). Then, after a couple of hours, re-do the holes in the desired position. End of the problems !!

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You can use springs from ball point pens.