1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Raising pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ripper, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    :help: Hello all. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to raise the pickups on my bass. I can't seem to figure it out. The bass is an NJ series BC Rich Beast, so it has (apparently) EMG active pickups.

my problem is... I want to raise the pickups closer to the strings. however, I can't figure out how. so I was wondering if anyone knew and could tell me, that would be great, as I don't want to tear the thing apart & risk destroying anything.

:help: help please? :help:

sorry about the repetition in this post.

2. Pickups have springs underneath the mounting screws. Hence, slacken the screws holding the P/U into the body and the pickup should rise. Voila!

3. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    tried it (i think maybe)... all I can think is that the mounting screws are somewhere inside the pickups farther than what I've gotten.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Actually with basses it's often neoprene or foam underneath the pickup. If it's not there or overcompressed loosen the strings, unscrew the pickups and slide them out being careful not to pull on the leads too hard or to scratch the finish, and cut up an old thick mouse pad into an appropriate-sized strip and place it in there or on the bottom of the pickup - use double sided tape if desired. Then ease the pcikups back in and screw 'em down loosely and retune ... as strings get up to tension do the height adjustment it takes to clear the strings.