1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raising rabbits for meat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, May 29, 2012.

1. 2 years ago i started raising meat and layer chickens. It wasent long after i got in trouble with the city for having live stock ;( So i had to get rid of every thing!

But i have now found out that rabbits are not considered live stock in my area. So i called the city and asked and they said i can raise as many as i want!

So i have been doing some reading and it has me really thinking about trying it!

Have any of you done it?

Do you still do it?

Pros?

Cons?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Cons?

Mmm... SPCA protestors?

3. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Never tasted rabbits so don't know.
    If it tastes good and you can own one why can't a man raise it for meat?

I am a ASPCA surrporter but, not a member same thing with PETA I like what they both do but, I can't afford their memberships.

4. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    well, rabbits can be tasty, so there's your pro. Also, you'd only have to pay for 2 to eat for life.(not really)
    cons? Usually a pretty small return in terms of meat. They are cute, so killing them might make you cry, which would also be a con. just don't name them, or let anyone else name them and you should be good to go. Lady folk might not like you killing rabbits, which could also lead to a con.

Also, if you let them run wild in your yard they will eat at will, so that may be good or bad depending on what you want to happen to your plants.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    They taste too gamey to me, and can only be cooked a few specific ways to minimize that. The hassle of killing and cleaning them would seem to me to be more trouble than they are worth. Rabbit entrails are also very smelly compared to many other animals.

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Rabbits are yummy.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Raising rabbits should be pretty easy to do.
    just make sure that you don't plant them too deep or too far apart - and water regularly.

8. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    MMmmmmm...Rabbit Pot Pie

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    You're thinking of PETA. The ASPCA seeks to eliminate the mistreatment of animals. You can raise and kill an animal for food without mistreating it. PETA are those crazy naked protestors that say we shouldn't have pets or eat meat.

I think raising food rabbits is a good idea, although I've never eaten rabbit.

11. I have eaten both wild and domestic rabbit. I enjoy both but would say domestic rabbit is not near as gamie as wild! And of any of the animals i have harvested and processed rabbit was the easiest!

I have no intent on doing this for profit or completly replacing the meat market. I enjoy the feeling of be sustainable (even if it is a fasle feeling) wether it be gardening, eggs, meat from a hunt, or fish from a trip. Just somthing about making your own way.

Does that make sense?

I have been doing some more reading and it seems meat rabbits use to be a big thing during the depression. But fell out of favor in most homes in the U.S.A

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It sounds as if you should look into moving to a more rural area where you could do what you want.

13. Is your name elmer?

I couldnt kill a rabbit , I had one as a pet and there cute:D

14. My dad started doing this right as I left the house for the Army, and I'm all for it! It's a great source of cheap meat as well as compost material for any garden you plan on building. Do your research regarding different breeds to make sure you get a good meat to bone ratio in the weight, and remember that they're gonna taste like what they eat. Just throwing it out there, making buffalo wings out of bunny tastes fantastic!

15. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Mmmm...BACON fed bunnies!!

16. You've got it all wrong! Elmer Fudd is only interested in wabbits not rabbits. They're totally different :D!

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Baby rabbit is very mild tasting, the adults have a stronger (IMO, better) taste. Lots of good ways to cook them - one of my favourites is a Chicken Marengo but with rabbit instead.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My friend does it and has no problems (look where i live, if he didn't have a problem in the Bay Area, I don't see you having problem anywhere else). My family did it when we were in Russia, it was fairly easy.

Me? I go hunting for rabbits, but don't raise them. Rabbits are very tasty.

Killing them, well, my methods won't help you, I use a shotgun. When i was on our farm in Russia we'd just use a hatchet.

Cleaning them is very easy, chop the legs and head off and the skin comes right off like a sock, then just drop the guts out, cut the wall inside and remove the lungs, clean it, you are done. As I said, fairly easy.

They will eat leftovers of veggies you have, so feeding them is easy and they hump like rabbits so lots of reproducing. :)

I like your idea, sir.

19. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    rabbit is good. I have eaten both domestic and wild

I like the idea of raising food, but I grew up on a working cattle ranch, and my extended family owns feed lots. Raising my own food is an idea that I learned to appreciate at a very young age. I am also an avid hunter, so I eat a lot of wild game