1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Raising the height at saddle for one string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JacosTacos, Jan 5, 2012.

1. JacosTacos

JacosTacos

Sep 13, 2011
    Hey guys. Last week I bought a Washburn Taurus T14 (love it) and it's been playing fine, except I get fret buzz on only one fret on the E string. Besides this little thing, the action couldn't be better. I was wondering how I would go about raising the height at the saddle for just this string, and whether or not it's OK to change the height while there are strings on the guitar.

Here's a link to a pic: http://www.pulseonline.com/washburn2.htm

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If it is only at one fret, it seems that there is a fret that needs a little dressing down, rather than raising the string for all the frets.

3. JacosTacos

JacosTacos

Sep 13, 2011
    Makes sense. Is there some kind of file I can buy and do it myself or should I let the guy at the shop take care of it and show me how?

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The cost of the right tools would probably exceed the cost of having it done by a pro.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any reason you can't just raise the E string saddle a smidgen? From the pic, the Taurus appears to have 4 independently adjustable saddles.

Edit: yes, it's okay to raise the saddle with the strings to pitch. BTW, there's a good chance the buzz will disappear without creating a discernible change in action. Just turn the saddles height screws about 1/6 of a turn at a time and recheck.

Riis

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Do this before you file frets. Chances are the saddle was not adjusted properly at the factory. It would be a good idea to read the Setup Sticky at the top of this forum.

mech

7. Remember, raising the saddle is reversible, filing a fret is IRREVERSIBLE. And if you file it too low, the next fret will buzz too.