Raising the poles on my pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by skewh, Sep 8, 2005.

1. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I need to raise the pole under my E string, as it is quieter than all of my other strings. The only trouble is, I have no idea as to how I would go about doing that. Don't get me wrong, I may be a newbie to TB, but I've been playing for about five years now, and am damn good if I may say so. :p I just am a little clueless when it comes to adjusting the wiring/electronics etc. on my bass.

Thanks in advance,
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Welcome to TB Dave. After five years of playing, it seems like you should have gained some kind of knowledge about the electronics in your bass. No matter how good you think you are, you are doing yourself a disservice not to educate yourself in this matter.

As far as adjusting the pole pieces, some pickups do not allow you to do this. What pickups are in your bass? What bass are you wanting to make the change on?

3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may just need to tilt the whole pickup up to the E. The only modern pickups with adjustable pole pieces that I have seen recently have been DiMarzios.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am going to chime in here with a question if I may. I am having a similar problem except that my A string is too loud. I have SD quarter pounders.

Would it wreck the pickup (or damage it) to give the A pole piece a strong downward nudge?
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It may or may not, depending on the magent structure. Also, if it is able to slide in the bobbin, you will need to re-glue it back in place.
  6. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    i've been adjusting all the poles on my stock fender MIA jazz 5 pickups, b/c the fender 5 string neck has such a arched fingerboard, it makes the B and G strings much closer to the pickups magnetic field than the A string. having a much louder A string sounds odd, uless your pole pieces are already staggered and you're using a really flat bridge profile.

i took the pickup covers off and carefully with a narrow set of vice grips took hold of the pole piece with a very firm grip and twist it to break the bond of what seems to be some kind of thin glue or epoxy, then raise slightly to taste. the pole piece is pretty snug in its hole anyway (is that the bobbin), so its not going to move any on its own, but i think the twisting to break the glue bond is the key first step. without doing this, the pressure you'd have to exert to move the pole would be far greater, and when the glue/epoxy bond did break, your hand would probably slip from the suddenness of it.

since the pole pieces are long enough to be poking out a little at the bottom there is just enough length to raise the middle strings' poles enough but still keep the poles snug in their holes, top and bottom. a threaded pole with a notch for a screw driver would be brilliant, huh? does anyone sell pole pieces by themselves?