Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raising up a crop of dental floss

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I might be moving to New Jersey soon
    To be a dental floss tycoon.

I just accepted a job offer and will be moving to northern Jersey on November 1st. I'll be working in Parsippany and my wife will be working in Orangeburg, NY. Can anyone recommend some cool, yet still relatively safe (baby on the way) neighborhoods between those to cities, maybe triangulating with NYC or New Brunswick? I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I can't afford to buy a home in Bergen County, but maybe I can rent there or somewhere nearby.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As a Licensed Realtor in good standing in the state of Michigan, a Licensee cannot personally rate or opine about neighborhoods based on "good" or "safe", or even comment on "good schools" or "better" schools.

That kind of language has been deemed prejudicial by the courts of the land and would very likely lead to license revocation.

Besides, 'Jersey ain't my neighborhood.

Good luck with the move.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    make sure you bring a real poncho and not a sears poncho...

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I didn't know that. That seems so weird since home values are in large part linked to how well the local school district performs. You can't tell a client moving to an area you service that it has a top-ranked school district and a statistically low per capita rate of violent crime?

Is that just a Michigan thing?

Let me clarify what I meant.
    By cool, I mean has some sort of walkable downtown area with restaurants, shops, etc.
    By safe, I mean a relatively low percentage of violent crime, which I could look up myself if I knew what towns or zip codes to check.

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I don't understand. I used to have a plastic poncho that worked well in the rain, but kind of smelled funny.

EDIT: Oh. Zappa quote from a different song. Got it.

By the way, I'm looking forward to getting down to Philly to check out some of your gigs.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What the thunder is a dental floss tycoon? Someone already invented it, and rules the market. I don't see any way to improve on the design. What gives??? :D

-Mike

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    It's a quote from a Zappa song about moving to Montana.

Lyrics

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank you sir. I thought you were serious. Yeah OK, I'm slow sometimes. :)

-Mike

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    How's about a Mental Toss Flycoon (could I intrest you in a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers)?

10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    What? What? What? Half of my family is in real estate in one way or another, and I've never heard these things. Not that I've ever thought to ask.

11. My dictionary says a Realtor is a "member of the National Association of Realtors" ...which is not exclusively Remax agents....

12. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I live in Montana...I think.

13. Hey, you guys are right! That's the where the exclusivity is - unless you're a member of the association, you aren't a "realtor" as being synonymous with "one that sells real estate". My fault :oops:

I do want you to know that whatever I thought P.Aarons affiliation was, I was always assuming he was legit, that's why the smiley.

Years ago, I worked for the largest real estate magazine in the US and we were always resolving problems arising from this subject. It's just been 25 years too long for this old brain to tell one logo from another! :D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why don't you move to Venice, California and become a butt-floss maven?

15. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I'm mulling it over. :eyebrow: