Ralph Armstrong

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Jul 11, 2002.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For those who don't know.Ralph Armstrong is one of fusions earliest pioneers,having grooved in Mahavisnu Orchestra and Jean Luc Ponty.killin with an aproach to groove like no one before and no one even to this day,his fretless work is the epitomy of tastefull and talk about effects,his use was never over bearing allways just the right amount.well if your ever in Detroit(his Hometown)you can catch him every friday night at Bakers Keyboard Lounge,one of the oldest Jazz clubs in America located at Livernois/8mile ave.
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have to agree with you about Ralph Armstrong, the stuff he was playing on the Apocalypse album was seriously happening.
  3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I wore out Mahavishnu's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond." He is an excellent bassist, and he can seriously groove in weird time signatures, too. He has a solo on Jean Luc-Ponty's Live album that is in 7, and uses effects to great effect.
  4. Gage...1

Jul 3, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Your right, we all as bass players should thank Ralph Armstrong for the progress that he made for us to do what we do today.(Jimi Hendrix)example.
    I live in Detroit and i can remember in high school Ralph came up to do a clinic this was back in 1983, and i played drums but at the time i did realize what i was hearing. I was a little older when i could hear how great he was.(still is)