Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ramble about amp that don't rumble/walkabouts/ampegs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My 27 year old Peavey combo had a stroke last night. It recovered, but I can tell it's days are numbered. I may HAVE TO hit the amplifier store this week. Tonight's gig will most likely make my decision for me....

Here's my deal. I've played lots of amps over the years, and bought lots of amps - and I seem impossible to please. I'd like you help in steering me the right way. a few particualars.

• I want to try and spend $700 or less.
    • Almost any amp I've bought or tried in a store in this price range rumbles and distorts when I crank it enough to hear it with my band. What's up with that???
    • Volume is of great importance to me.
    • I'd like something lightweight and small and I'm considering the new technology that's out there - but most of the featherwights seem to not be able to crank out volume without falling to peices.
    • I'd prefer a head and bottom so I can take the head alone to gigs that have speakers. I'm open to a kickbutt combo though.
    • I'm considering buying another peavey because i think they're the loudest amps for the dollar - but they're not the greatest sounding and they're way heavy.i've been kinda seduced by the walkabouts and little ampegs on the market. they seem however to break apart (as mentioned above) at any reasonable volume. can anyone shed any light on these amps for me and bassically tell all you can tell about getting a lightweight amp that has the most volume and bang for the buck.
    Please talk about an amp ONLY if you have gigging experience with it. I've learned time and time again that what an amp does in a store or home is a whole nuther thing once it hits the stage and hears your drummer.

thanks.

2. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I just bought a Traynor YBA200.

-200 watts, tube.
    -VERY light
    -2 year warranty
    -Gives me the ability to drown out my obnoxiously loud band
    -$855 CAN, so that's, like, what, $8 or $9 USD?
    -GREAT sound
    -Looks real purdy, too.

What people have said about it in this forum should tell you more. It's great. I played a show with it and bought it the next day without batting an eye.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    40 lbs for a head is not my idea of light - unless I just checked out something different than what you're talking about.

If anyone could provide links that would be nice too. I can't even seemt to find prices for walkabouts. I've just begun searching though.....

What I'm reading thus far is giving me the notion that a walkabout is NOT going to cut it volume wise.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You're going to have to face the fact that most of the good sounding loud heads are heavy. You could maybe put together a pre/power rig that was around 30 pounds, but that's probably going to be a minimum.

My favorite gigging amp is my Mesa M-2000. Very reliable, VERY loud. It weighs 30-some pounds I think. Most of my volume comes from the cabs (Mesa 1516 or Schroeder 1212), because of the sheer power of this thing. The downside to this amp is that it only goes to 4-Ohms. These can be had for around $800

The most versatile gigging amp for me is a Bass 400+, even though I don't have it anymore (traded for two D-180s, which don't have as much volume but have a tone I like better). The 400+ will do it's full power at 8, 4, or 2 Ohms and will ALWAYS be loud enough. I've never heard of anyone complaining about lack of headroom with a 400+. You can easily drive two 2x15s or even two 8x10s with it. Downside to this amp is it weighs a lot (though it's not very big). I found my 400+ for $600. Most sell for around $800.

That's the range of my experience. I've tried a lot of pre/power setups and they've all been plenty loud since I have a QSC PLX 3402. Other amps I would check out are GK (lightweight) and EA (also lightweight).

5. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Nope, that's the one. But, in my defense, it's light for what it is.

Aren't those new Beringher 300w heads light? Not sure.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'll break your gigged rule only because I've heard it live. There's a PV BAM combo for $600 on http://www.bassgear.com/ that I would buy if I wanted a combo. It's probably heavy, but read the reviews . . .

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    good call! I was gonna suggest the same (except I have no experience with one myself).

I'd go with a Schroeder 1210 or 1212 and a lightweight head myself. Embellisher had a BAM and loved it... but when his guitarist upgraded to a new stack, the BAM lost it. He snagged a new 1210 and a used head.

If I was in NYC (or any major metropolis) I'd grab a AI Focus and a 1212 or with knowing your tunes... a 1210. I'm not in the city... so I went with a both and a 120lbs tube head :smug: but truthfully any show that one won't be loud enough to hear on stage.... I'll be using whatever the roadies pull off the headliner's equipment trailer when the tour bus pulls in behind them.

8. I dunno, I bought used. I have a Hartke 3500 in a small rack and an Ampeg SVT-410 80's vintage cab. Maybe not the lightest gear on the market but its definately not the heaviest, its very manageable. I have a lifted Jeep so I have to lift it pretty high to get it in the back. Its loud, has a lot of tone shaping abilities, and so far I have not been able to make it break up.

I paid $275 for the head and $225 for the cab.

Can't beat that with a baseball bat!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your problem is that your power/volume requirements don't match up with the budget available. I'd say less than 600 watts is going to be a waste of money for you, and 750 is better.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Based on reviews I think you should check out Schroeder cabs.

They can aparently do a lot with out putting too much into them.

Maybe one of those with a Walkabout will work.

Of course, for your budget Im not sure you'll find what you're looking for unless you bite the bullet and get more Peavey.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd spring for a power amp, preamp, and rack case.

There are plenty of rather powerfull poweramps out there for not a lot of scratch (my Carvin DCM1000 was less than $350), and any number of preamps for less than $350, putting you in at under $700, and will give you a good kilowatt of power, give or take, and the added flexibility of being able to swap out preamps.

If you want a combo, you could get into a used GK400RB/210 combo. They are generally pretty loud, good sounding, and you can throw another cab underneath it if you want. It's about $750, but I reckon you could haggle.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I would've said that too (600W minimum), but I heard Joe's band play a medium sized club in Coney Island and his old PV combo sounded just fine. Of course, extra headroom is never a bad thing. You are blessed with a guitarist and drummer who understand dynamics and don't overdo it Joe. If most of your gigs are like that one, then you have lots of options. I do think the Portabass is too small/weak though. There are lots of used options out there. What have you tried before and not liked?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to mention that you should check out some Eden amps too.

Just the other night I ran my Eden into a Peavey 410 with my punk band and got plenty of compliments on my tone from the bassist in the crowd and my band members.

They have a few pretty high powered light heads like the WT550 that Im sure you can find for a decent price used.

I havent actually used one of their heads in a gig, but the Navigator preamp I use sounds the same and just has a few extra features you dont *need.*

If you find a used Eden head and a used Scroeder cab I bet you'll be set.

14. I like Eden CXCs and Nemises alot for combos. You should be able to find one you like close to budget.

But if you like Peavey tone but want a socially acceptable version, you should shoot for a GK 700RB combo.

I just got back from sam ash. Tons of harke gear they are trying to clear out. They even had an old Peavey TNT 150 with the hartke "mountain."

And your right, a lot of the floor cabs seen to crap out when you play them. I have my theories.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn, 3 posts before I get it right!

If you want light, loud, and good tone, you should go with the Nemesis combos by Eden.

I have the 210 combo and Ive gigged with it a few times. The sound is great especially if you crank it and let it get a little dirty. They're very light for their size too.

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    The BAM combo sounds like a real good choice, especially @ 600 clams.

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    thanks for all the input guys. you pretty much told me what i figured but hoped wasn't true. i took my amp to the amp doctor today. he wasn't sure what was up, but thankfully - my amp acted up while at the store. it usually does it's nothing's wrong with me car imitation when visiting the doctor. the guy gave an extra dose of solder to all the crap on the board, cleaned the knobs really well, and made sure all was secure. the amp is functioning perfectly again. purchased in (by a friend) 1978 - abused since then - still kickin butt!

18. Just listened to a couple of the songs and I have to say, (sorry if this bothers anyone else), but it's the first music I've listened to on talkbass that I really liked.

And I know this isn't helpful but, why aren't you playing an SVT thru an 810? (I know about about the money and weight issue but So What!)

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    thanks man.

HA! it's funny you should say that about the 8X10. last night at our release party they had one of those back stage and i was goofing, telling my drummer i need to get one of them. my freaking 80 lb. combo is more than i want to carry around. who transports those mammoth things? IMO you need to:

A. Be somewhat insane.
    B. Be an animal.
    C. Have roadies and a tour bus.

I really appreciate the kind words. Thanks again.

20. Okay, get a used QSC RMX power amp, then a $200 new sansamp BDDI fore the pre, and an Avatar 4x10, or their 2x12 if you need the low end.

And if weight is a probably get the neo avatar 4x10.

So you could get 850 watts for... bout $700