Ramon Pooser video new/old

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Kneehimiah, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Won't play...

btw are these with the DeVilli?
  2. jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Ramon,
    looking forward to seeing the vids. Unfortunately, if you click on the links, you get this message:

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit."

Keep us posted!
  3. The bandwidth problem has fortunately been corrected. The old video is with my old Czech bass, the new with my Devilli. The camera is a tiny hand-held, so the sound is coming off the mic.

4. Well, I said that I solved my problems on my website. At first yes, then the bottom fell out. My developer and I will be up working through the night on this. New video, new mp3's and soon new bass lessons. It'll take a minute to figure all this out.

5. Cool! About halfway through your first video, how did you make that airplane sound come out of the Devilli? :confused:

Just kidding. I really liked the videos, thanks for sharing. Did you do anything to modify the Devilli after you purchased it? I noticed you slapped a little too... I ask because my Devilli will arrive in about a week.

6. First things first. I think that the bright red color of the bass produced a 78 degree day in January (Decatur, GA just east of Atlanta). Next it hums like a mid-sized car and two little ones also (LOL). Really though, I haven't done a lot with it yet. The fingerboard needs to be planed for some unattractive buzzing around the octave G-Ab on the G string, I think that the soundpost should be replaced and re-set. You may hate the bridge that they provide as much as I did too. This may sound dumb, but I think that the wood is too porous, and so doesn't resonate well. I transfered my bridge from my Czech bass to the Devilli and that made a big difference in the way that the bass sounds. I love what I hear. You put the bridge that they give you on the bass and you'll think yourself crazy for your purchase. Change that first and get a good pair of strings. Never mind the seller's string offers. They never sent me mine. They may have sucked anyway. At any rate, enjoy your bass.
    The bottom line is that it's difficult to develop as a bassist if you can't hear the thing. When you're playing it, and after you put it down you should still hear it. If you hear Misty in your head and the bass sounds like Lucille Ball's singing, you've got trouble. If I heard Lucy from this bass I wouldn't play it.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice chops dude. I hope to get summa those kinda chops one day.

It annoyed me enough that I need to tell you tho: Might I suggest that you invest in a tripod the next time. The camera shaking and 90 degree turn toward the end of the video was driving me nuts and making me kinda ill trying to watch it all the way through. Your playing was great but the way it was recorded (along with the exterior noise) really detracted from your playing. My attention should be focusing on you and not the camera work. I wish I could watch it again without all that extraenous stuff.
  8. jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Wonderful playing, brother! You have some great ideas on the bass.

I didn't mind the camera shaking... the music was so good, that's all I was concerned about :D

9. philly

Nov 20, 2004
    You sound great. Just what we all suspected but are sometimes reluctant to admit- it's not how much money one puts into the bass, but but what you can get out of the damn thing that counts in the end. A good lesson for everybody.

10. My trusty assistant was responsible for the camera trickery. If I bad mouth her it could have a lasting effect on some of my extracurricular activities NML (not much laughter)! I do have a mount for the camera. I excluded another video with my 2 year old son wrecking the set. This take (Freestyles) was lucky.

11. Philly...SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We share the same sentiments but...just never step on another man's livlihood. There are a lot of bass repairmen on this site! All of whom I respect, but I just get by respecting the value of things.

12. Ramon, really nice playing! That Devilli sure seems shiney, like my Strunal (alot like it!) sounds great though. Thanks for sharing.
  13. That might be worth seeing. It never ceases to amaze me how someone so small can generate so much destruction.

I can't say you have changed my mind about the Devillis but you surely prove the player is more important than the instrument. I enjoyed watching and listening to the clip.
  14. Well that's uplifting stuff and I read what's on your site and that's just inspiring - all power to you.

By the way - I take a Devillis is a make of bass that some don't rate - what did it for my old bass was new strings, bridge and soundpost - my luthier always changes that and he did it to the mew bass I got off him too.
  15. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey Ramon,

You sound great man, thanks for sharing! Cool website too.
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Amen. My wife is dealing with MS as well, started at age 35 for her. I'm going to send her a link to your site for perusal. Keep on keeping on.