1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ramp between pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rmcfee, Oct 2, 2013.

1. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    Maybe this is a silly question but what is the ramp or block that I see in between the pups on Fodera basses (and lots of others lately) for?
    Is it a finger rest? Thanks.

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Gives you consistent attack regardless of hand position. Here's a good explanation:

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html

3. It's not a silly question, but it's been asked numerous times. If you search for "ramps", lots of results pop up. Sorry for being "that guy".

They basically prevent digging in too much. Mine does that and provides a nice big thumb rest. It comes from upright style playing, where you have the fingerboard under your playing hand.

The one I have is removable, but I've never removed it because I really like it.

4. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    So, it's more than a finger rest. Thanks. That was very interesting.

5. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    +1

6. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    That was cool! Thanks. Especially that insane bass in the attachment that appears to have pups hidden under the top/ramp. Wild shhtufff.

7. I have a couple ramps I drive my pickup onto to change oil. :D

8. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Nice....but this is ramps BETWEEN pickups, not UNDER Pickups :D

(Unless of course, there are two pickups parked either side of the ramp as you do the oil change...on your pickup:p)

9. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I could never play with these things as I always like to lower my pickups because I hate if they are "in the way" at all. And I like digging in. And I never rest my thumb, so I guess these things aren't for me.