1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ramp Questions! (Yes, I did do a search)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Hey!
    So, before you all rag on me and tell me to go do a search about ramps, listen up. I've read most of the threads that came up in my searches, and I am really interested in making a ramp for my warwick corvette standard. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I have a couple questions.
    First of all--wood. I'll probably just go down to my Ace lumber and find a good piece of maple that they can cut for me to start off. I think I want maple because my dimarzio pickups have cream covers, and I think the maple could go well with them.
    Next, when it comes to radius, my 'Wick has a 20 inch radius, which is pretty much flat. I was wondering, would it work to have a ramp that has a 16 or 12 inch radius on my bass? Would it be worth it? The way my bridge is set up, my strings arent totally flat, and I think it might help to radius my ramp a little more than the fingerboard on my bass is. The reason I ask this is because I want to buy one of those radius sanding blocks from StewMac, and I need to know what size to get.
    Also, one last thing--For a finish, since my bass has a very thin natural finish, I was thinking that tung oil might be a good one to use? Maybe I'm wrong, but I have definitely heard people around here praising it for neck/fingerboard kind of work. Any suggestions for what I should use instead?
    Sorry for the long post...hopefully I'll reward you all in a week or two with some pictures when and if I get this done. I have spring break the week after this coming one, so I hope I can get started on it then.
    Thanks,
    -Alex

2. Anyone?

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    When I did my ramp, I originally had it flat and did not really notice too much difference. After a while I started noticing and did a radius that was close to my string setup. I did it by hand, so it was not perfect, but it was close.

Since I used ebony, I did an oil and wax finish and attached it with double sided carpet tape. Turned out pretty well the second time.

Dan K.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    1. You can use most any wood you want so long as it's hard enought to take sanding and radiusing without chipping.

2. I'd keep the ramp the same radius as your fretboard, and adjust your bridge to match them both. Otherwise, you're going to have higher action on some strings than others.

3. You don't have to finish the ramp at all if you don't want (my ebony, wenge, and pink ivorywood ramps are unfinished), but tung oil or Briwax (or similar) would probably work fine if you want something on there.