Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ramp questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassosaurus, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    i've been intrigued by this idea since I saw it on Gary Willis' bass a while back and it seems to be catching on.

1. When using the ramp are you training your fingers to not hit the ramp, or is it just to stop them from moving too far?
    Should they be moving through the string enough to hit the ramp?

2. Does the ramp need to be a hard surface like wood or could some sort of dense foam be cut and placed (squished) in-between the pups?

As a young man I practiced quite a bit w/out an amp and, therefore, play way to hard. I have suffered some wrist problems in the past - this seems like a great thing for me.

-

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A ramp could possibly completely alleviate your wrist problems. It did for me. The ramp should be set fairly close to the strings. Your fingers will stop at the ramp, therefore they will touch the ramp. That's exactly what it's there for.

3. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    This is going to sound like a dumb question but....

Would using a ramp interfer with slapping/popping?

I know that my thumb wouldn't be anywhere near the ramp but I just wonder if it would have any negative drawbacks due to random fingers getting sandwitched between the ramp and string(s) when popping. :bag:

-J

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    It would severely interfere with slap/pop, unless it is located away from where you slap.

5. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Gernerally looks like people put it between the pups, so as long as you slap between the neck and the neck pup you should be ok.

Ramp material anyone?

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I would think a hard material would be necessary, anything your fingers cant squish into. The object is to stop your fingers from moving too far through the string and slowing you down comming back up.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah, it must be a hard material and it should be radiused to the fingerboard.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Don't make the mistake I did...Don't put your pups too close to the strings! :D :rolleyes:

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    While we are in this subject, does anybody know who makes ramps?
    I would think I could give the luthier/technitian/repairperson the dimensions I want and the radius of my fingerboard and get one made without having to ship the bass. . .

And to answer the original question:

I have seen up close Gary Willis and Matt Garrison play, and what I remember is that Gary rests his fingers at the ramp after he strikes, while Matt uses more are a guide and touches the ramp with the tips of his fingers as he strkies upward, more in a raking motion. But they both have a complex technique, so this is just a brief description of what they do. . .

In basses where I have wide and flat soapbars, I use them as a guide/resting place before I upstrike.

It definitely requires a lighter touch but it gives great control and precision. you finger are always is the same position (not to deep, not to shallow) when you play.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Right now i'm making some radius gauges to see what I have on my two Jazz basses (Fender MIM Lefty 4 and Brice 5 Lefty 5). I'm going to order the radius blocks after I finish this.

:)

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I promise you NJL, it'll make all the difference in the world.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Talk to Pete Skjold if you'd like a ramp. I just did the same thing you're talking about. I emailed him the dimensions that I needed and he made me a ramp. It'll be here tomorrow. he made it last week for me.

I have a technique that's very similar to Matt's (not on purpose). I wasn't able to get the technique up to speed untill I got a ramp between my pickups. It really made the difference.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I'm pretty fed up with not having the full thing! :D

I should listened and bought the block a long time ago. :rolleyes: :D

Sometimes I have to learn the hard way.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't we all!

15. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    how do ramps mount to the body??

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I use screws or doublesided tape.

17. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    would it be possible to mount a ramp on a bass with a p type pickup and a humbucker? It sounds like I would benfit a lot from a ramp but I have just put a deposit on a p-deluxe and i have serious doubts about a ramp fitting it

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I was just thinking that today. It would be a pain in the rear to make one for that, but it could be done. I wouldn't do it, cause i'm horrible with woodworking.

19. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds like it might be. I have being trying to play a lot less aggresive lately - I have been playing in punk and metal bands for so long with a bad amp that I have had to hit hard to get the attack I need and developed a bunch of bad habbits along the way. One of the things I have been working on is the direction of my finger picking and it sounds like this ramp might help me fine tune it (so far so good, but I do feel like my fingers go 'under' the strings a bit too much sometimes, and have notcied a loss of speed).

Is it much like playing on the fingerboard? Or is there a bit more room?

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's way better than playing on the fingerboard:

No frets
    the strings have more tension in the picking area
    closer to the pups