1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ramp???

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by slappa da beeus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Ray,
    I saw that you installed a ramp on your signature Zon. Can you please describe for us what that is and why it is useful?

2. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    It helps you keep your plucking hand in the same position regardless of where you are so you don't have to adjust when you move off the pickup. Also helps prevent you from digging in too much. Horrible explanation I'm sure. Gary Willis describes it much better... http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html

3. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Maybe this is an awful comment made at a bad moment but I've found slapping on Gary Willis signature basses to be rather "challenging" if you know what I'm trying to say.

I know that Gary is NOT ( currently ) a huge proponent of the "slapping" technique but if you actually listen to what he once did with a guitarist named Jeff Richman he actually was quite good at it at some point in time.

I actually like that Gary is a complete and total funk MONSTER on the fretless and now refuses to slap but I don't like that his signature basses are not so easy to slap on, due to the ramp, if you choose to want to do that.

But maybe there is some way to adjust it ( or something ) so that slapping may commence in it's full glory on such an instrument.

4. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    The explanation of the ramp is provided in the the earlier post(s) here.
    As for slapping: As long as the ramp is not between the front pickup and neck there is no problem slapping on a bass with a ramp as that's where slapping is mostly executed with the right hand.
    Most ramps are between the two pickups.