Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ramps on a Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Anyone have photos of any?? I have a jazz and would like to put a ramp infront of the bridge pickup.. Jazz pickups are a little too small to use for ramps...

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Would love to find a way to install one on each of my lulls... Maybe some plexiglass like Conklin uses...

:meh:

3. Yeah, I was curious how it can be done without it looking too odd.

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    scotch tape (doublesided tape) ? that stuff is quite strong if there are two clean large flat surfaces.

5. Well, the problem for me, atleast, is not how to attach it but how a ramp would look between a fairly large gap between two jazz pickups.

All of the ramps I've seen were between two soapbar type pictures, so there wasnt a whole lot of empty space between them.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    out of curiosity, what does a ramp do?

7. Keeps you from diggin in too far with your fingers.. Supposed to help you play faster.. Its like playing above you pickup.. It kinda blocks your fingers from going too far past the strings.. Less travel, more speed..

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Mike Flynn has a ramp on his Warwick and on his Chapman 5 which I believe also has J pups, you can check his site for pics. www.munkio.com

EDIT: the pics aren't on the site but you can maybe search TB or it's in some of the videos/lessons up there.

9. You could have the ramp cut out at those anchor points on the J-pickups so that it would fit exactly around them. That way there wouldn't be any gap and it would look best (imo). Someone here has (I think) a Warwick that they made a ramp for which fit around the P/J pickups pretty well. Either that or you could maybe have some custom pickup covers made that either didn't have those little anchor points sticking out, or had them low enough that they wouldn't poke up over the body and the ramp could just go over them.

I've given it some thought as eventually, I'd like to have a ramp made for my Warwick SSII which has J pickups :)

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's a Fodera with a ramp put between the Jazz- type pickups:
    [​IMG]

11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    And I had to stare at the Fender version for about 30 seconds before I realized it was clear.

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
  15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What kind of bass is that? I like it.

I wouldn't be bothered by the non-radiused version. I personally don't like ramps all that much myself. I've tried them, and I am not at a good enough skill level where my speed would see any appreciable difference from using a ramp.

16. Yeah!!! That's what I'm talking about :)

Damn...that is sexy :D

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    the non radiused version does nothing other then on like the first and last strings. I changed from non radius to radius. Night and Day.

18. A non-radiused ramp would still have some effect. Just not nearly as much as a radiused one.

A non-radiused ramp would feel the same as if you were playing over the pickups, which is still an improvement over the empty space inbetween the pickups.

Another thing that I've found has a bit impact is your string spacing. If you have a tighter string spacing then after playing each note, your finger doesn't move as far before it comes to rest on the next string. But if you have a wider string spacing then your finger will move farther to rest inbetween each note. With my Warwick, which has a narrower spacing of 16.5mm, I feel less of a need to have a ramp (though I would still love to have one on it :)) than I do on my Ken Lawrence which has a full 19mm spacing.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've bee looking for some pix for Kinal J's, but I know I have seen a couple with ramps... in the past.

20. Hi Templar,

I googled for jazz bass ramps and found this thread. Unfortunately your photo is no longer available. Could you repost it please?

Thanks and all the best from Germany