1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ramps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by air_leech, Oct 26, 2006.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey all,

I noticed Gary Willis uses a ramp and that a lot of fretless players fit ramps on their basses too.

my question is- what good are these ramps?

thanks,
    Elad.

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ramps are tasty. I like them steamed with some okra and bacon. And cornbread.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  4. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I ended up buying a bass that had a ramp installed by the previous owner. I was ambivalent about needing it, but as I've played the bass, I have grown to use it some. The primary point of a ramp is that it limits the motion of your fingers when you use a free stroke technique, which helps you conserve energy (by preventing you from going too far past the string). It also provides another anchor point for your thumb, if you use one.

I actually don't use a particularly fancy technique, just two finger free stroke with an anchor on the B string, but I've still found it useful. I don't need it there for my technique, but it does make playing a little easier.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
  6. Are you from West Virginia?