Ran across this one on the web....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 3, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    This thing must have an upright scale length or something.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I read that Chris Squire wanted the feel of a 4 string, with the range of a 5 string. So he had one built. It was tuned BEAD, and had an extra foot or something added onto the bass, so he had the range of a 5 string, with the feel of a 4. It also said if you wanted to reach the F, or F#, you had to pull the bass away from your body. Haha
  3. Why does that look photoshopped to me?
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Would need a larger pic to verify if it's geniune or not, photoshop always leaves traces. It's funny either way though.
  5. I bet its hard finding strings to fit that bad boy. Then again, if you're stupid enough to buy something like that you deserve the long hunt for new strings.
  6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Seeing how the first 10 frets are equally spaced, I'd have to say it's definately photoshopped. "Call Shorty"...right!
  7. Interesting that the guy to contact about this bass is named Shorty.
  8. You beat me to it Budman!
  9. why not?

10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Good call! If you look at it closely, the angle of the headstock doesn't seem quite right, either. Besides, isn't it a bit odd that the lowest frets don't have fret markers and the 12th fret marker is placed at like the 20th fret? :eyebrow:
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hell, you can see at the second actual fret where there's a badly done oh-so-obviously Photoshopped join.
  12. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    A bass Gumby could call his own.......
  13. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow. That is awful PS work there. Dude, a drummer could do better.
  14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Definitly photoshopped, definitly done poorly, definitly not something I would want to try a truss rod adjustment on (even with my mad photoshop skilz).
  15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I remember a picture of Jason Newstead with a really long scaled bass for some metallica album, but that does look fake.
  16. the intonation would be terrible
  17. Patchwork Cat

Patchwork Cat

Jun 9, 2005
    That bass has been 'shopped, the first few frets look normal THEN it gets stretched, then the neck wobbles about- and what's with the lower horn? sheesh! Couldn't see that on the board at B3ta!