1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ran into Jimmy Page!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by carlos840, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Today i was walking around London, in bond street, i am a street photographer so i always look at people even when i am camera less...

In the corner of my eye, 5 meters away, i see this old dude in jeans and old leather jacket, with a white poney tail turn in a perpendicular street, straight away i had a "could it be?" moment.

Walk up to the guy, mutter a "excuse me sir", guy turns around, and it is Jimmy page, with bags of groceries.

All i managed to say was " I think you are great, Led Zep is my favorite band (actually true), i just wanted to thank you for the music you wrote, and what you did for music in general!"

He actually looked really touched, shook my hand, told me he really appreciated, wished me a great day and we both carried on on our way.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was really a cool experience, felt good about it all afternoon. He really had a good vibe aura...

The mad thing is that it was at 5pm in one of the busiest streets in London ad no one had a clue who he was, if it had been Justin Bieber he would have been swarmed by people!

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Dude! That's so awesome!

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Er....you are a photographer....so where is the pic? :)

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Awesome story.

5. Well, i didn't have my camera!

I had loads of things to carry on the tube and i couldn't be bothered to take my camera bag on top of things...

It's always like that, every time i leave my camera at home great things happen.

To be honest i think that even if i had had my camera i would not have asked him for a picture, he has had enough camera's shoved in his face not to have one more while doing his shopping.

(one of my best friends who's hero is Jimmy Page has just ordered me to put a plastic bag around my hand and not wash it until he can touch it!)

6. that is cool, next time you see him give him a big kiss from me!

7. Cool story! It's always neat to meet famous people or heroes like that. It's better when they are genuine and appreciate you recognizing them.

I can imagine that he doesn't get recognized much these days at all, so you probably gave him a boost too. I bet you may have been the only one all day to come up to him and know who he was.

8. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Carlos,
    That is fantastic! I'd be tempted to lurk around that market for the next few weeks.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Is he OK?

10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    You think so ?

Maybe they just have more respect for the personal life than in other city/country.

11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i watched the movie "it might get loud" a couple weeks ago and got an everyman vibe about him. he came off like a very down-to-earth, approachable guy. if you haven't seen that movie, check it out. the intro is awesome, but the whole thing is an easy watch.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just watched "Death Wish 3" on TV a couple days ago, and guess who did the soundtrack? It was very cool experimental (for the day) stuff, too, it sounded like Page was having a blast just playing with everything in the studio.

13. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    First thing I thought

14. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    This is so cool!

15. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Totally. That movie is awesome.

16. Getting it right now, cheers.

17. Very cool! My father's cousin befriended Robert Plant in a pub down south, seems they are a very down to earth bunch (plus he keeps getting given backstage passes, very cool!)

18. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Awsome!!!! He is 68 years old you should have offered to help carry his groceries, have some tea and cheese sandwiches, talk yardbirds, zeppelin , violin bow, Alister Crowley, Bonzo, Thermin, I'm sure he would have a bass laying around somewhere and you two could sit there and jam a little!!:bassist: I know that comes off as being sarcastic but I'm not, I have been a zephead since I was 9 years old, I would wear my record needles out when all I would play was Zep. I would stick my speakers towards the window and crank it just so all the neighbors could hear Heartbreaker and The Lemon Song. That was 39 years ago.

19. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    haha, I just started watching it to! :D

20. Your story reminds me of this YouTube video of when Rush met Zeppelin.