1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ran out of GAS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alanloomis1980, Aug 15, 2019 at 6:25 PM.

1. I was reflecting on my gear, and while it was inexpensive (under $1k for everything pictured,) it is proving to be satisfying and complete.

I’ve assembled a Squier/Peavey parts Precision, and found a used Squier PJ. After some serious elbow grease on frets, necks and electronics, I just can’t find a bass to replace either of these (and believe me, I’ve been looking.)

I got myself 2 Rumble 100 combos, one for home & gigs, one to leave at the rehearsal space. And after a daisy chain stack at a recent gig proved most successful, I really don’t need another amp ATM.

0C97F523-20E3-42EB-BDA9-28F27979CFBD. 598B3F14-3E00-4FF9-9568-962EE66EA538.

Sure, I will put money aside in case of repairs, or change in band situation that might require different gear. But I’ve finally hit the zone where I see my gear as tools, and I am quite satisfied with my tools.

Life is good! :cool:

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Well done!
    Keeping it simple makes for an easier time concentrating on what's actually important...the playing.

DrMole, Helix, teh-slb and 6 others like this.
  3. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Maslow would call it "self-actualized". Congratulations!

4. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Congrats on a finding you tone!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  5. I’m pretty simple by nature. I mean, P bass and a Rumble, doesn’t get much simpler than that! ;)

I just came out of a funk where I was very distracted by looking at/ researching/ testing better basses and bigger amps. It feels great to put that to bed and focus on the playing :)

BOOG, Spidey2112 and Oddly like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I say heretic! :bawl:

Whaddayamean you're happy with your stuff and don't need any more?:rollno:

You need more Koolade!:confused:

7. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I did notice a distinct lack of pedals ... let's try and trick him into browsing the effects forum ... ;)

DrMole, Wisebass, Beersurgeon and 9 others like this.
  8. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

I beeleef you ahh sufferink fvum a seeerious case uff lackatort. Vee heff vays uff mekking you tort.

9. Brainwashing, torture? I knew it! I’ve peeked behind the curtain;)

jamro217 likes this.
  10. He’s already talked me into a HPF, I should be set for several years :woot:

Stumbo, Oddly and equill like this.
  11. I’ve been drinking the TB kool aid and its giving me a stomach ache :vomit:

:laugh:;)

steamthief likes this.
  12. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I think you'd be wise to stop hanging around this place. Every time I think I'm "set", TB finds a way to introduce me to something else I have to have.... :banghead:

Seriously, good for you - it's nice to have everything you need so you can focus on your chops. I'm kinda there myself - it just took a lot more money and exploration to get there.

13. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That Peavey neck on the blue squier body is sexy. So's the rumble stack.

I'm a much more focused and relaxed person when the GAS goes into remission. I practice more and I get better. Nailing a song that had been out of my reach a few months ago is so...much...more rewarding than getting a new piece of gear.

The trick for me is minimizing the GAS flare-ups. Gotta stop listening to the little voice in your head (or the big collective voice on TB) telling you you're missing out on some piece of gear...

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Nice basses and the Rumble stack does look cool. I agree about the Peavey neck looking good on the blue P-bass body.

When you pair the Rumbles, are you running into only one preamp, and slaving the other amp via FX send or preamp out to the second amp’s FX return or power amp in jack?

Or running out of an unused instrument input into the instrument input of the second amp? Just curious.

15. Thanks! I love this bass, put a lot of work into it. Maybe that’s part of it- it’s a one of a kind custom. Made myself a faux Fury! :)

Amp 1 fx send > Amp 2 fx return. Slave relationship, Amp 2 only engages power amp. Pretty slick feature!

16. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Buy how are you fixed for gells? maxresdefault.

17. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    I'm calling BS - you certainly must be craving for some new strings, a pick, a pedal, that fancy cord ?

C'me on.. 'fess up ;)

Regards
    Mark

18. I'm with you, keeping the inventory low because well, why not?

I love my two Musicmasters, they sound great with my Rumble 500. And I'm a firm believer in simplicity. Bass to wireless to tuner to amp. No effects.

We're in the minority but that's ok too.

MYLOWFREQ and alanloomis1980 like this.
  19. I was thinking about replacing my guitar stand....

But to me, that’s just getting the right tool for the job. My definition of GAS is irrationally obsessing about stuff I don’t need. Even so, the fact that I’ve stopped window shopping for basses and amps is huge.

I don’t have the budget to actually go out and buy all the gear that we chat about here on TB. But the GAS was like a bug in my brain, distracting me from actually becoming a better musician!

So sure, I’ll buy stuff from time to time, but I feel like my whole relationship with gear has shifted.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing wrong with that! Nothing wrong with buying lots of gear either as long as nobody goes hungry or loses their home in the process, but if it's working for you, it's working for you.

Wisebass, Tad and alanloomis1980 like this.