1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ran SVT 2-PRO without cab connection by accident! Need some advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, Nov 17, 2017.

1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi all,

So, interesting story. At a gig last night in the dark I mistakenly fumbling around plugged the cab into the effects loop without realising. Its located directly below the speaker outs and in the dark in a tight space I stupidly managed to plug it in there instead of the output jack.

Turned the amp on and noticed that there was no sound coming out. Checked my tuner and the mute switch and volume pots on my bass (no longer than 25 secs in total). I feared the worst that the speaker cable wasn't fully in and decided to turn it off and check. Lo and behold stupid me had plugged it into the effects loop (in the dark I can't remember if it was the send or return). I then plugged it all back in correctly, turned the amp on and its sounding fine.. I tend to think I'm overthinking anything now and looking out for anything that to me sounds a bit off but in all realism it seemed to be working absolutely fine.

Whats the likelihood of some damage being done, and if so is it usually repairable?

My theory is that if I was plugged into the effects loop 'send', no signal should have been going into the power amp, possibly avoiding damage? I.e. I would have only been using the Pre Amp section so it'd just be like having a really weak amp? I am completely untrained with circuitry though so this is only a guess. If it was the effects loop 'return' I'm unsure what would have been happening. I've attached a picture of the back of the amp (not mine, just a google image) for reference.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
    My understanding is that damage caused by this type of error would be immediate and apparent.

I hope some of the experts chime in, but I think that you are okay. If you had put the hurt on your head, I think it would be letting you know.

DeadbeatLine likes this.
  3. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    I was thinking that! Everything sounded fine and I'll be testing it thoroughly at home soon, for such a short amount of time I'm presuming its hopefully alright, definitely a scary moment for sure

Expert or in the know advice would be greatly appreciated!

4. Yah! If it all good, it's all good.
    Put some plastic tape over the jacks you don't normally use. Or plug in a dummy plug. Helps prevent dark stage boo-boos, and that instant of shear terror when you thing your amp is dead.

johnpbass and DeadbeatLine like this.
  5. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    That's a really good idea covering the plugs, its so easy to accidentally get it in a wrong one when its dark and cramped and you're fumbling around behind it! Appreciated

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I should add that these plugs are useful for plugging unused ¼” jacks on speaker cabinets that cause air leaks. You can hear noise through the jack hole when you are playing.

Some cabs have sealed jacks or are internally sealed. In these cases, a plug like this is not necessary.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  8. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Never heard of this! That's useful information to know.

Any further advice or insight from anyone relating to my Head situation?

beans-on-toast likes this.
  9. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    UPDATE: thoroughly tested out the head today both clean and with all manner of effects, seems to be completely fine.. guess I just got lucky?

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Don’t you notice how good you sounded, how tight you were with the drummer and how great your solo was, when that dummy plug was in the input jack?