Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rana Ross Video Avail On-Line

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zuperchicken, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Hi, Rana's husband John Ross here.

Some people had emailed me to see if there was any video of the late bassist Rana Ross available on the internet.

Rana was in a band called Sinboy, the demonic creation of a talented singer by the name of Elysa Grey. They shot a video of one song called Buttercup and it's available here if anyone is interested in watching it.

The server it's on doesn't like to stream video so I'd recommend right clicking on the link using the 'save target as" to download it to your computer. I don't know how long it'll be uploaded to here. The file is large so I'd recommend broadband only (or someone with a whole lot of patience).

The shoot had an incredible set built for it, basically an entire castle's dungeon, large cast, naked women, orgies, etc. The focus is purposely very soft, if you could clearly see what's going on it would probably garner an X rating... :eek:

Sinboy at the time was a 3 piece band, all female with Elysa doing the lead vocal and all the electronic programming of drums, etc. Rana sang the backup vocals and used a Hohner 5-string, SWR SM-900 run through an extremely hard-driven SWR Goliath Jr cabinet (2x10) to record the bass on the song :bassist: . Karen (Kreutzer? Sorry Karen, forgot how to spell your last name... :meh: ) wrote and played the guitar parts.

Hope you enjoy it, here's the link - let me know if there's any problems downloading it and I'll list a second server:

http://www.wavscape.com/Sinboy_Buttercup.mpg

Peace,
    John Ross
    fugger@zuperchicken.com
    http://www.bassgirl.com

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice video, John. Visually, it reminds me of something Trent Reznor would do. I like the song a lot, too.

3. Yeah I think it was a good shoot. Elysa would love the Trent Reznor vibe as she was a huge fan.

Peace,
    John Ross
    jr@zuperchicken.com
    http://www.bassgirl.com

4. Most excellent John!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. TREEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

HI BABY! Long long time no see, er, speak?, uh, well, whatever this cyber stuff is called. Lost track of you, seriously lost track of you - hard drive crashed lost everone's email, snail mail, etc., information. Appreciate it if you could email me with the pur-t-hin-ant info! Thanks.

I don't think you've ever heard me play, hmmm, Since you're broadband here's a link to a an old band I was in. This is a wave file so it's large but a bass player liked the tune but only had a low-fi MP3 of it so I uploaded this. It was actually ripped from an old cassette demo, worked over in SoundForge then mastered in ProTools here at the house. Sounds better than I thought it would. I like the song mainly because it's this very boppy, happy, optomistic music piece with some seriously cynical lyrics talking about how relationships suck, marriage is ka-ka, etc. Here's the link:

Never Get Married MP3

Any problems downloading let me know and I'll check it out.

Good to hear from you Woman!

Peace,
    John Ross
    jr@zuperchicken.com

6. John, you have mail my friend!

BTW, you are an excellent bassist, you should consider getting back to jamming!

Keep in touch, OKAY!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    John, Very cool..thank you! So sorry for your loss.:(

8. Thank you.

Hey Treena,

Actually I have started to play a bit, again. I've been tapped to do the bass work on a singer/songwriter type of guy that's recording a new CD at the house here. Still have the ProTools, 24track analog, 32 channel, dolby sr, yada-yada studio set up here. Mixing Rana's stuff in between recording bands and veggeing... should be interesting. He says "I hear kind of a bluesy line here" I say "I kind of hear a line loosely based on a Reggae note selection played with a lot of midrange on a fretless, very staccato, like a Jaco wannabe is playing it but doesn't quite have the chops to pull it off."

Like I said, should be interesting... LOL!

Other than that I've also started playing the guitar, keyboards and drums again. Can't find my sax or flute so those are out for now.

Good to hear from you,
    Peace,
    John Ross
    jr@zuperchicken.com

9. John, this is excellent news!

I would love to hear you play!

Keep on rockin!

[​IMG]
    Treena