Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rancid.. how the..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rabidbassist, Oct 28, 2002.

1. how the heck does the bassist in Rancid play so friggin fast... ok..so not all teh songs are anything to get excited about.. but ihn Sidekick he plays like.. incredibly fast..

2. Matt plays with a pick, which may contribute to his speed, depends on who you are and the line you are playing. I play faster with my fingers than my pick. The lines Matt writes are pick-friendly, they are hard to play as fast with you fingers. If you want to play like Freeman, I suggest you practice 4 or 5 hours a day cause that guy is good, definately the best bassist ever in a punk band.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    How does he do it?

Huge biceps,
    Plectrum
    Years and year of experience
    And just...intelegence!! :)

4. Something Mark Hoppus will never have! ;) :p

I agree. Matt rocks! I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice, how can I practise getting faster? I take buying a metronome would be the best idea?

[edit] i mean, what could I practise? scales with a metronome?

MicroB. :D

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Practice everything with a metronome. Then just turn it up a click every day or so and practice the same stuff again. Lather rinse and repeat until you are playing as fast as you want to.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    i can play sidekick with my fingers, i dont think the song is that fast, if you cant play that i wouldnt suggest trying to play axiom and maxwell murder

:D

7. i think you should check out The Minutemen. :D

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the minutemen are so awesome :D

9. Mos Def,

But Rancid are probably among the fastest punk bands.

Maybe after old Offspring and Ramones

10. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    He's definitely a very muscular player and can really fly with a pick (though at fast speeds, it's not like he's playing great melodies or anything. Still, there are moments when a tremendous flurry of notes is appropriate). I think that part of it is his use of open strings with pull- offs.

Sure, they rip off the Clash, but they're a great band. I can't deal with his bass tone, to be honest, but I get all worked up listening to them as a band.

11. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    Offspring. WHoa there speed up. I like the offspring but if you ask me they play the slowest around.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i respectfully disagree.

mike + watt = Best Punk Bassist Ever.

13. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    unrelated.. but Hunter from AFI also plays pretty fast.. If you look at some of the tabs for songs like Sacrifice Theory..

14. Originally posted by john turner

i respectfully disagree.

mike + watt = Best Punk Bassist Ever.

Hear hear!

Matt Freeman is damn good though.

15. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Check out matts old band operation ivy, there are some cool riffs and solos.

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What is up with this focus on playing fast? Who cares how fast you play, the question should be how WELL you play. If you can play fast and still keep it musical that's great but to sit around thinking about how you just want to play faster is not the right frame of mind in my opinion. I mean if that is as high as your aspirations go that's fine I guess but really, why not think "How can I be the best musician possible?"

17. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    They just mean for playing fast songs..

18. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA

I respectfully disagree.

Scott Thunes = best punk bassist ever.

TOTAL waste of his talent. Punk = ass in my opinion. Thunes played in a punk band after leaving Frank Zappa's band in 1988. Can't recall the name of it.

19. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    I like man freeman the most. Rancid show hes speed and Op Ivy shows his wonderous style. Problem was rancid aint as skaish as rancid and ska was freemans mastery.