Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randal Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowtones, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Alright I need help.

Alright I own a Randall Bass 500 head. (not sure what model it is, i'll get that tomorrow). I run it through a matching 2 x 15 cab.

I'm pretty sure it's a 500 watt.

I'm not getting enough volume still when I play with the band, and I thought 500 was more than enough.

I run the head with gain on 5, Master Volume on around 8 (any louder and it gets overdriven), Treble on 8, Mids on 2, Mid Freq. on 5, Bass on 6, Bass Rollover on 8, and a 'W' shaped E/Q on both the head and my E/Q pedal.

I'm trying to figure out what can I do to get the most volume out of this rig.

Oh another is I play an Ibanez SR - 506 6 string with pickup dial in the middle, bass on 6, treble on 5 and volume on 10.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Woo hoo! I own an RBA500 too! Whoopie!

Here's the scoop, as far as I know: It's actually a 300 watt head, with a 2 ohm load. I would guess your cab is either a four or an eight ohm cabinet, which means that you aren't getting your full push from the amp (you're not getting the full 300 watts). I usually run my amp's volume all the way up and control the overall volume with my gain control. When I am only running one of my cabs (4 ohms), it starts to overdrive around 2 (on the gain control). If I run both of my cabs (2 ohms total), as I do when I am in a gig situation, I am getting my full 300 watts and my amp doesn't start to OD until about 3, give or take. I have decided that I need more headroom (probably obvious to some of you), so my next purchase will be a "bigger" amp.

FYI, I bought my Randall used for about $150. I had it cleaned and had to have a new power switch installed, but it has proven quite dependable since acquiring it more than four years ago. The only reason I am thinking about dumping it, is because as I said, I need more headroom. Even if I do buy something else, I'll probably keep the ol' RBA -- for sentimental value. :)

3. Hmm. I didn't know it was only 300 watts. But yes, it is the RBA-500, and the matching cab is a RB 215-S 2x15 Randall cab.

I guess my only solution is to

A: Get another head to stack on top, and run both through the cab (which can handle up to 1,600 watts)

or

B: Get another cab, to reduce ohmage and maximize my volume?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Lots of mids is always the way to maximize volume!!!!

I'm not sure what "W" means in terms of EQ but if you are doing this on both the amp AND an EQ pedal I'd guess you are EQing your signal into inaudibility.

That rig should be punishingly loud as is.

5. What I meant by the 'W' is that is what the shape the little switches make. (Boosted Bass, mids, and treble.)

But yeah I'll try a flatter e/q setting.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    even 300 watts should be enough......ive had some pretty deafening rehearsals and the weak 120 watts i had was ample to do the job....id sugest you boost your midrange frequencies a bit, this will help you to cut through better and allow you to hear yourself. more often than not lack of mids is the culprit...this is mho and ime. id also recomend everyone in your band turning down.. master volume on 8 :eek: thats pretty loud for a practice again thats mho

7. Right now we're playing in a 3-car garage, so the drums get compressed into a loud mess. He always makes the guitar turn up for his own pleasure, which makes myself overdrive my amp.

Time to talk to my drummer..

Oh and btw we are getting a nice P.A. system, we should have monitors and everything so that would be nice. Just how I play at church, too.

Thanks guys

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Originally posted by cassanova
    even 300 watts should be enough......ive had some pretty deafening rehearsals and the weak 120 watts i had was ample to do the job...

Originally posted by lowtones
    Right now we're playing in a 3-car garage, so the drums get compressed into a loud mess. He always makes the guitar turn up for his own pleasure, which makes myself overdrive my amp.

This is exactly what happens to me at both our band's practices and at our gigs. Our drummer plays loud, so the guitarist tries to surpass his volume by cranking his amp. Then the vocalist can't hear himself, so we have to turn him way up. Eventually, there comes a point where my amp can't keep up and starts to distort. At that point, no one gets any louder, but they don't get any quieter either.

Why is it that the bassist seems to be the only one that knows that those volume controls work both ways?

9. thecheatersbass

thecheatersbass

Sep 17, 2005
    arizona
    i to have the randal rba-500es 2/15" jaguar speakers,there is more than enough power in these units than you could possibly use in a normal gig.one of your problems is if you connect a 8 ohm set of speakers you could possibly blow the head or the speakers, these amps are designed for 4 ohm bridged to 2 ohm .i have been using this amp for a steady 6 years and never had a problem 1,they are a bit of a trick to get sounded for differnt rooms but my only gripe is how damn heavy the speaker cab is. :bassist:

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    With all of your EQ mods I'm wondering what your tone must sound like :confused: Man, you have the bass boosted in too many places and you are eating up valuable wattage right there.

First, reset all of your EQ's to flat including your bass. Then start dialing in some mids and low mids. Do this while jamming with your band by making small changes between songs till you get a good tone for the room/mix.

You should have plenty of volume if you keep the bass frequencies under control.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    First, Kelly is right about starting over with EQ.

Now on to my part. I used to have ine of these cabs, too. I gigged with it for eight years, or so. I ran an Acoustic B4 head into a powered Acoustic TC-210 for my highs and this Randall for my lows. I used the power amp in the TC-210 (400W) to push my high end, so I could use all the output power possible to push the lows, because they require more power anyway.

This sounds like a huge unwieldy system...becasue it was. But the sound was huge. Add a 2x10 cabinet to get more mid-high punch, and you'll get more efficiencyout of your amp as well. I would consider Avatar as a nice sound match to a Randall.

Be aware that you will get tired of moving the big rig eventually. Then you will probably join us in the quest for the ultimate bass gig rig, which must be capable of immense loudness, depth and clarity, readily portable by one person, and fit in a compact car.

No I don't think it actually exists either.

Although a Thunderfunk into two Schroeders is close.

12. Try cutting the bass a bit and boosting the mids

13. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Wow, this was my first rig after my first combo amp. It's strange to see that so people use or have used it too!

It'd be nice to see a pick of the head and cab. It would bring back old memories.

14. Basschops37

Basschops37

Jun 11, 2011
    I've had my RBA500 head and 15" Eden cabinet since 1981! It has been faithfull but it is HEAVY!!! My only complaint is a bit of hissing...Is there a way to run a direct box pre or post to cut down on noise?