Randall bass amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I know Randall is not noted for its bass gear, but I had an opportunity to try out the RB500 head with the RB810XLT cabinet last night, in a local music store I had not been to before. Since I was the only person in the store that evening, I was able to pull the cabinet out from the wall and move it nearer to the centre of the room. I was quite pleased with the sound capabilities. I tried 2 different basses through the rig, both 5 strings (an offshore Spector and MTD). Lots of lowend (ported cabinet, overall 'feel' reminded me of the Peavey TVX offerings), and the tweeter was not too overbearing. I can't find any specs on this stuff, even on the Randall website (like weight, for instance). Pricing was in the mid-range end of things, with the head being $799 and the cabinet $859. Seemed fair, given what I experienced in a half-hour test run. I'm not in the market for a rig like this, but it struck me as potentially good value for rock/metal. Anyone use a setup like this?

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Randall is pretty much an underdog to Mesa, with the exception of a few guitar amps.

Most of there stuff is all solid state, with a few hybrids. If you want an example of their guitar amps, just listen to WALK by Pantera. ;) A couple all tubers on the really nice guitar amps... but none for bass.

But I want to think the RB500 is hybrid. Although, once you get up into that price range, who is going to buy an import Randall versus an American Mesa? (not trying to bring the "gee where is it made!!!" discussion into this... but so many people now days buy on that)

But IMHO Randall would be DEAD were it not for the Kirk Hammet Endorsement, and the fact they are owned by Washburns parent company, whom i cannot recall the name of at the moment.

That said, i wouldn't mind trying one out. :)

3. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
    US Music Corp.

4. ettsn

ettsn

Mar 29, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Randall is one of the top choices in metal guitar amps. Rare for basses, but their gear is actually pretty nice. Kinda like Marshall: well-known for guitars, with good bass gear that is largely unloved by the general public.

And while Hammett was a nice boon for Randall, it was Dime that really put them in the conversation I think. They also have Dimmu, Lynch, Nuno and all sorts of famous metal dudes.

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009

Agreed. Underrated for bassists, and i can't think of any big users (where you can actually hear them :D )

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Much appreciated!

I must admit i felt rather stupid, not remembering their name.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021