Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randall RB2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdcd, May 4, 2003.

1. kdcd

kdcd

May 2, 2003
    Anyone have any info on this amp? Or any info or
    opinions on Randall Bass

2. q998

q998

Apr 8, 2003
    Wales
    Did you get an answer? I've just bought one (still "in the post") and I'd like to know more about it.
    Randall have sent me schematics PDFs, (Thanks!) but no manual, sadly.

How does the bi-amp split work out? Is there a bridge?

3. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    I know this is an old post, but I have an RB2000.

I love the thing.

Biamp, low channel 375W @ 4 ohms / high channel 130 @ 4 ohms
    built in crossover
    7 band active eq

built like a friggin tank.

here's the front panel on that model

[​IMG]

4. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
  5. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    Additional info.

I had the head in to get the pots cleaned and had the tech put it on the bench to verify it's output power.

It was higher than rated.

400 watts low channel / 150 watts high channel.

So if you have one then you may have a bit more power than you thought.

I saw another owner in http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506734&highlight=randall+rb2000 say that these were rated at 8 ohm, but my tech insists they're 4 ohm ratings.

So I have no idea. Would have been handy for that to be mentioned in the manual

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I know this is a zombie thread. Please forgive me.

I've owned a Randall RB2000 for a long, long time. When it had a meltdown in the mid '90s I just went out and bought a GK 800RB.

I finally found my old friend who used to be the service manager at Randall and actually had a hand in designing this amp. I dropped it off and he has repaired it. I haven't picked it up yet but I will find out the scoop on this amp, wattage, load, etc, and report back. This amp does kick butt. It has a great feature set for an "almost vintage" solid state amp. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    Holy crap! I never expected to see activity in this thread.

That's great that you're getting it repaired.
    What cabs are you thinking of running it through?

I used to have the monstrously heavy Randall 2x15 and 2x12 but now use an Avatar 2x10 and a custom built 1x15. (I actually have 2 1x15's but the stack is laughably tall if I use all 3 cabs)

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I was planning to use my Carvin RL 210 and 115 stack. I have other cabs I'll be experimenting with too.

BassCliff

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Sorry I'm late. If you're still interested, I did pick up my repaired RB2000 from the guy who designed it. He's an old friend who's retired now. He wasn't even going to charge me for the repair but I insisted in paying him something.

I asked him a few questions about the amp. Both amps do run at 4 ohms but it's a actually better if the high amp has an 8 ohm load because it then runs cooler. He says there is barely enough heat sink to keep the temperatures manageable. I'll probably run it at 4 ohms unless it's a hot day outside. The 210 cab I have is a 4 ohm unit. I have a 115 cab that's 8 ohms.

I haven't used my Randall on a gig or rehearsal yet but I will let you know as soon as I do. I'm playing this weekend but there is a good back line at the venue. An my NYE gig doesn't require a bi-amped system. So maybe I'll have to fire it up in the garage and see if I can get the neighbors to complain. :p

Pictures to follow.

One thing I noticed with mine compared to the picture posted by Mr. ChrisAlan, my power switch does not have the lighted rocker switch. I have a power LED instead.

BassCliff

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's cool that you have it fixed and what luck to have a person with first hand knowledge about the amps.

11. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    I had to get the power switch replaced a few years ago. It shot sparks at me and that is way out of line :)

The old switch was a rocker like it has now but was all black except for a small red illuminated rectangle on the "on" side of the switch.

Thanks for the info about running the high channel at 8 ohm due to heat sink size. I'll have to do something about that sometime.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I brought my Randall RB2000 to rehearsal tonight paired with my Carvin RL 210 speaker cabinet. It did very well against two guitarists, a steel/fiddle/banjo, keyboard, and drums.

[​IMG]

I took a couple of videos of the rehearsal. I'll see if I can put up some evidence in a day or two. This is a kickin' little combo. :)

BassCliff

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That thing looks big enough to heat a home :)

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

This rig is not really that big. It's just a 2x10 cab. The amp is heavy, built like a tank. It does run warm because of the smallish heat sinks.

Just for grins and giggles, here's a video from that rehearsal. You can't really hear my rig because my point-n-shoot camera is behind my amp. You can't see half the band either (me, steel/fiddle, piano). It's a rehearsal so there are blown lyrics and missed changes, but we'll tighten it up. ;)

http://sdrv.ms/1bvKG1r

BassCliff

15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Zombie thread alert [​IMG]

Anyway, I just wanted to share a picture of my Randall RB2000 on the gig.

I have a two week engagement in a pit orchestra for a high school production of "Spamalot".

That's my Randall sandwiched between the Carvin PA and the Carvin cabinet.

[​IMG]

This amp can really kick it. I think I'll start gigging it more.

BassCliff

16. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Dec 27, 2009
    Here's how my rig is currently configured.
    BTW, those old Bass V-Amps are very flexible.

[​IMG]

17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I gigged for years bi-amping my Randall RB2000 with my Carvin stack, similar to yours but simpler. Now that my Randall is working again I'll start using this rig where it fits.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty much a "straight-in" kind of player, no special effects. The only pedal I have is a Boss tuner. :p

The picture above shows my GK 800RB but you get the idea. ;)

BassCliff

18. Digging up a zombie thread again...because it deserves it! As little information as there is in general, this thread is basicly the bible on this unsung hero. This amp is stellar. It first gained my interest when I saw a broken one for sale on Craig's List for $60. It caught my for it's bi-amp nature, but also for it's broad EQ. I figured it would make a fun project that would meet my needs. I ended up getting it for $40.

I saw ANOTHER short thereafter on ebay, but in working condition. I jumped on it at $160 shipped, but USPS had a bit of a mishap, and the box showed up battered, harboring another broken amp >,<

I got one out of two repaired thus far, and it is incredible. I use it to push my Peavey 1820 cabinet. To have separate gains for the 10's and 18, as well as an active crossover to divide what freqs go to which speakers...magic. The tone, power,rigidity and features of this amp provide all that I can ask for...and more.

After getting the user guide and service manual from Randall, I realized the added beauty of the effects loop. I was confused by it at first, as I never really tried using effects loops, and always run pedals before the amp input. When it said hi and lo loops...I thought it had to do with instrument level and line level. Nope. Different loops for different outputs. I can have over drive or distortion on my 10's, and a clean signal on my 18! I can have a clean signal on my 10's, and a fat dubbed out envelope on just my 18! The sonic possibilities instantly blew my mind (and really upset my pedalboard order haha)

Here are a few shots on the bench. Note, only one of them says Road Warrior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One pre-amp board had been mildly altered in it's past life. Lot's of rc4558p op amps, but some mismatched stragglers as well. I just ordered a bunch of extra Burr Brown OPA2134 chips with my last parts order, so I will swap those in and compare with the stock unit after I get the second amp up and running. Not all too noisy of an amp to begin with, but a worthy experiment in my book!
    [​IMG]
    It just looks like a big pedal! I guess I do know how to work on amps. Weird ;)

Laced it up with a bunch of new Boss-style knobs, and the facelift made it look like a whole new amp!
    [​IMG]

I know someone else will chime into this thread soon, because I just saw another one sell on Reverb for $150. I love this amp so much, I was tempted to add that one to the hoard too!

merlin252 likes this.
  19. merlin252

merlin252

Apr 22, 2016
    Can't let this thread die! I have a RB1000, which seems to be like half a RB2000. I too had an original Randall 2x12, which was vast, but that died after having spent some time in a wet garage. It's currently paired with a Warwick 2x10 and is incredibly punchy.

Folk-rock trivia points though: I bought mine from Dave Pegg of Fairport Convention and, as illustrated in Sharpie, Jethro Tull (!).

IMG_20160205_154239.jpg